Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
    How to get rid of annoying Mormon missionaries
    Hello you guys:

Really, I have nothing, NOTHING against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. BUT...

A few days ago these two elders, Smith and Mittanck came to my door and I invited them in. I was curious about what they had to say. They talked about their religion and The Book of Mormon and about their church.

That would be okay, but they kept coming back. They're probably trying to convert me or something. I need a valid and kind excuse to tell them tomorrow when they come back. These guys are really nice, but I'm not really that interested in what they have to say.

Please help me make up a kind, thoughtful and realistic excuse - something to tell them when they come back tomorrow. I am too kind to tell them "I'm not interested, go away."

Please help. Thanks if you do.

Sarah.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

I have been in this position before.I simply said* I thought about what you said and I do not mean to be rude but I am staying with my (insert denomination)*.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangqpublic View Post
    I am too kind to tell them "I'm not interested, go away."
    That's the problem right there. They will not desist unless you tell them. I simply told them: "Do you have a Do Not Call list? Please put me on it."
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:35 AM

Tell them you have a highly infectious disease and your really sorry you should have said something earlier,cough sneese and close the door!
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I have been in this position before.I simply said* I thought about what you said and I do not mean to be rude but I am staying with my (insert denomination)*.
    Maybe something that isn't about religion... I don't want to:

a) Let them down, or anything.
    b) Offend them.
    c) Tell them something really unrealistic.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Maybe something that isn't about religion.... I don't want to:

a) Let them down, or anything.
    b) Offend them.
    c) Tell them something really unrealistic.

Thanks for your help guys.
    This is the thing,if you give them an inch,if they think they have a bite they will continue to work to reel you in.
    You can't say ,I will consider it because they will be back to see if you have.
    You have to be firm and just say*I'm sorry if I took up your time,but this really is not for me right now*.
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
    This is the thing,if you give them an inch,if they think they have a bite they will continue to work to reel you in.
    You can't say ,I will consider it because they will be back to see if you have.
    You have to be firm and just say*I'm sorry if I took up your time,but this really is not for me right now*.
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. But I'll feel really bad, after. Are you sure you don't have anything else, hiding in your sleeve? Please?

But these people aren't bad, right? I had a mormon friend in college and she seemed so nice... And the religion seems really laid back, and it doesn't really require anything from it's members... EXCEPT GOING AROUND AND BRAINWASHING PEOPLE!!

Oh, I thought of something... Before they come, I'll bake them some brownies and when I reject them I'll say: "Sorry, I have thought about what you have to say, but I'll think I'll stay a loyal protestant... Oh, before you go, would you like to take some brownies?"

At least I won't feel that bad... Oh, and I hate myself for being such a thougthful person :(
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. But I'll feel really bad, after. Are you sure you don't have anything else, hiding in your sleeve? Please?

But these people aren't bad, right? I had a mormon friend in college and she seemed so nice.... And the religion seems really laid back, and it doesn't really require anything from it's members... EXCEPT GOING AROUND AND BRAINWASHING PEOPLE!!!

Oh, I thought of something... Before they come, I'll bake them some brownies and when I reject them I'll say: "Sorry, I have thought about what you have to say, but I'll think I'll stay a loyal protestant... Oh, before you go, would you like to take some brownies?"

At least I won't feel that bad... Oh, and I hate myself for being such a thougthful person :(
    Oh Sarah,you sound a lot like me.I often worry that I am going to offend,but I am confidant when they walk away they will say* that was the nicest rejection we ever got*. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:22 PM

My neighbors are mormon, well, one of them is. The wife gave up her religion a few years ago, didn't like the way things were run, she came to my house with a petition, because now that she's denounced her faith, she will not be allowed to attend her children's weddings, only mormons can attend.

Anyway, long story short, or shorter, we got to talking. I asked her a few things about the religion, why they go door to door etc. It's their mission, and the more people that they convert, the higher their position in heaven.

In other words, they won't stop unless you tell them flat out the you aren't interested.

A kind way? I don't know if there really is one. Just be sincere, tell them that you think they are really nice people, that you appreciate the conversations you've had with them but that you decline. Be firm but kind, otherwise they will keep coming back in hopes of getting you to cross over to their side.

Sorry, I know it's not really that helpful, but sadly, the kinder you are, the more you will see of these people.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:24 PM

First I wish more Christians where as dedicated as these young people, Normally the people who go around are younger people, who go on mission work for about a year. They go and stay in a new area and work sharing their faith.

Next if you merely ask them not to come back, they will not come back, it is as simple as saying, thank you but please don't come back. Truth and honesty, we are not showing our christian or other faith well if we feel we have to lie to stop them from coming.

Also wolf as being a protestant, morons are protestant also.

But the local ones have it hard often, they walk or ride bikes ( some have cars but our local ones don't) in the summer they are hot and tired, in the winter cold.

They know that at my door they are always welcome to come in, have a drink, even a snack, and rest a minute. I think Christ would have done that. They also know I am not going to be converted.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Are you sure you don't have anything else, hiding in your sleeve? Please?
    I heard from a little birdie that Alty offers warmed cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. Send them to her house.
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
    But these people aren't bad, right? I had a mormon friend in college and she seemed so nice... And the religion seems really laid back, and it doesn't really require anything from it's members... EXCEPT GOING AROUND AND BRAINWASHING PEOPLE!!
    LOL. Laid back, that's funny!

On the outside it looks laid back, but really, it isn't.

There's the "magic" underwear that you must wear, you can only take it off to shower or have sex, and the more devout mormons don't even take it off then.

There are the rituals, the rites, being ostrasized if you don't tow the line. The fact that women are not equal to men, in fact, the man is the head of the household, any man, even your son. You dare not talk back, it's against the rules!

I've done a lot of research on the mormon religion. You couldn't pay me to be a member.

Ooops, big can of worms, I have openend thee.

Hiding in the corner now. :eek:
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Oh Sarah,you sound a lot like me.I often worry that I am going to offend,but I am confidant when they walk away they will say* that was the nicest rejection we ever got*. :)
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I heard from a little birdie that Alty offers warmed cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. Send them to her house.
    :D

I just wish their would always be a kind way of doing things.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:31 PM

Is there someone who could be with you to help drive the point home. A nice rejection sometimes just does not cut it.

Be firm,practice what your going to say,and when they knock,you'll be ready.
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
    :D

I just wish their would always be a kind way of doing things.
    Wolf, you are a much better person than me! :)

I had two young mormon girls show up at my house right after my daughter was born. It was a bad day, Sydney was screaming, my son was screaming, it was nap time and I was ready to pull my hair out. Low and behold, the doorbell rings. It could have been the pope and I would have torn a strip off him, I was in no mood for anyone.

I pull open the door, see two young girls standing there and say "what do you want? I have a sign, no soliciting, so this better be good". They apologized, asked if they could come int to talk to me. I have a screaming baby in my arms, a screaming 4 year old in the kitchen, and you want to talk to me? Fine, come on in!

I hate to say it, but I wasn't kind. I told them that I had no interest in cow towing to a man because I'm not his equal, I like the underwear I'm wearing and I like wearing shorts in the summer with a tank top. I have no desire to be mormon, they're wasting their time.

Once I showed them the door I started to feel guilty for being so mean (yes, I do at times feel guilt) and I apologized, told them that I was having a bad day, blah, blah, blah. They came back the following week. Apparently, the fact that I said I was sorry, was a sign that they should try again.

Now, about those brownies. ;)
    -

Apr 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

I had two young mormon girls show up at my house right after my daughter was born. It was a bad day, Sydney was screaming, my son was screaming, it was nap time and I was ready to pull my hair out. Low and behold, the doorbell rings. It could have been the pope and I would have torn a strip off of him, I was in no mood for anyone.

I pull open the door, see two young girls standing there and say "what do you want? I have a sign, no soliciting, so this better be good". They apologized, asked if they could come int to talk to me. I have a screaming baby in my arms, a screaming 4 year old in the kitchen, and you want to talk to me? Fine, come on in!

I hate to say it, but I wasn't kind. I told them that I had no interest in cow towing to a man because I'm not his equal, I like the underwear I'm wearing and I like wearing shorts in the summer with a tank top. I have no desire to be mormon, they're wasting their time.

Once I showed them the door I started to feel guilty for being so mean (yes, I do at times feel guilt) and I apologized, told them that I was having a bad day, blah, blah, blah. They came back the following week. Apparently, the fact that I said I was sorry, was a sign that they should try again.

I hate being like this, if there is something I hate, it's saying NO... You think I shouldn't offer them the nice brownies I'm going to make?
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

I had two young mormon girls show up at my house right after my daughter was born. It was a bad day, Sydney was screaming, my son was screaming, it was nap time and I was ready to pull my hair out. Low and behold, the doorbell rings. It could have been the pope and I would have torn a strip off of him, I was in no mood for anyone.

Yes,I just took a batch with walnuts ,cakelike out of the oven and have already passed out a few.How ironic ;)

I love the story because the moral is firmness is needed.To say the least.

You must have made those girls think twice about having kids!

They also got a dose of truth about being subservient. when you don't want to.
    I wonder if you did not turn them around?
    Its funny but also very telling.
    And yes,they are nice people,they are people first.

Thanks for making it very clear how to deal with this :p
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I love a president with a sense of humor :rolleyes:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:49 PM
    I hate being like this, if there is something I hate, it's saying NO... You think I shouldn't offer them the nice brownies I'm going to make?
    Heck, just say yes and get new underwear.

Did I ever tell you I grew up near Palmyra NY and Joseph Smith's home? Let me tell you--I have walked through the sacred grove and have climbed Hill Cumorah where Smith dug up the gold plates that were translated into the Book of Mormon. Are you impressed? May I have a brownie?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is mormon? [ 11 Answers ]

OK I need to know the quick easy version. Everything you can tell me about the mormon religion. Beliefs, traditions, whatever, I need to know ASP!!

1099 and retired missionaries [ 3 Answers ]

We have some retired missionaries that we give to on a monthly basis. Do we send them a 1099 or a 1099R? One of the retired missionaries (ordained pastor) had a problem with the IRS and had to present his case that the money he received from us was not taxable. They finally agreed. We had been...

How can I be less annoying? [ 4 Answers ]

Some people find me to be sortof annoying, how do I become.. well... less annoying?

Annoying pop ups [ 1 Answers ]

I am running windows xp professional on an Hp laptop. I have got internet explorer 7 but have recently been plagued by annoying pop ups every time I go online. The worst one is C:\program files\PeDevice\tmp\tmp.html in a internet window, though it is an empty box, it seems to pop up three to four...

Annoying [ 3 Answers ]

How do you repair your msn messenger. I have a problem where this thing called msn block cheaker keeps on poppin up constently not letting me talk to my other contacts plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me what can I do I've tried everything:mad:

View more questions Search