Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megaboss98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
    I lived in NY and NJ and Texas, I lived in Texas for longest period. More background:
    Hello,

I have several questions regarding how taxes were taken out of my paycheck.

First some background:
    A) I lived in NYC from July 14 - October 5 (Just short of 3 Months)
    B) I lived Jersey City, NJ from October 5 - November 7 (1 Month)
    C) I lived in Fishkill, NY from November 7 - November 21 (About 2 Weeks)

D) I worked in Jersey City, NJ from July 17 - November 07

E) I never informed my company of my move from NYC to Jersey City, so taxes were probably withheld as though I was in NYC the entire time.

Now my questions:
    1) Is there any particular order that I must file my Tax returns (e.g. New Jersey before New York)?
    2) From January 01 - July 14 I lived in Texas (>6 months), Does this mean that I qualify as a Texas resident?
    3) If I qualify as a Texas resident, should I expect to receive money from both NY and NJ?
    4) While Filing the NonResident of NY tax form it says that I owe them nearly the amount that I paid to NJ. Is this correct?

Thank you very much for your help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 12:42 PM

You were indeed a TX resident from Jan 1- July 14, so the good news is you don't have to pay sate income taxes on your TX-based income during that time. But from the time you moved to NY, and later NJ, you were no longer a TX resident.

1. First complete NJ-1040NR for the period you worked in NJ and lived in NY.
    2. Then NJ-1040 for the period you worked in NJ and lived in NJ.
    3. Then NY's IT-203 as a part-year resident to cover the period you lived in NYC and Fishkill while working in NJ. In completing this you will take a credit for the taxes you paid to NJ while working in NJ and residing in NY.

I don't understand your question 4 - you should file in NY as a part-year resident, not a non-resident. You would file as a non-resident only if you earn money there while living in another state, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

You don't mention the period Nov 21 - Dec 31: where did you live and/or work then?
    megaboss98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You don't mention the period Nov 21 - Dec 31: where did you live and/or work then?
    From Nov 21 - Dec 31 I lived and worked in Washington State (They do not have a state income tax, and I do not believe I need to report this for NY and NJ state returns. Is this right?)

Thank you very much for your help by the way, it really cleared things up!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 05:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by megaboss98 View Post
    From Nov 21 - Dec 31 I lived and worked in Washington State (They do not have a state income tax, and I do not believe I need to report this for NY and NJ state returns. Is this right?)
    To be perfectly clear - you do in fact have to report your total income for the year to NY when you complete their IT-203, and also to NJ when you complete their NJ-1040. Reason is that they both want to see your total income for the year in order to determine what tax bracket you fall into. You determine your preliminary tax as if you lived in the state alll year, then you multiply that amount by a percentage representing the fraction of income that you had while actually living in the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ for 7 months, lived in PA for 5 months - What taxes should I file? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some issues with this. In 2008 I lived in Jersey for 7 months, lived in PA for the other 5 months and have ALWAYS worked in Jersey. What forms should I file? I filed PA already and NJ Resident for those 7 months. Do I have to do a NJNR for the other 5 months?

They've lived apart for seven years [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his wife have lived apart for over seven years. They do NOT live as husband and wife. Do they still have be legally divorced or is there a statute to this to where he can be classified as divorced?

Little man who lived in the sand [ 2 Answers ]

hi me and my sister used to watch this show sometime in the 90's and we cannot remember what it was called! It had 3 children who had a little sort of "oracle" who lived in the gravel (and looked a little bit like yoda from star wars! ) and would come out and speak to them... the children would...

Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on...

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

View more questions Search