Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluejeanbabe Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
    "Sold House" but it was never deeded in new owners name
    I have a real (I think) unique situation. I sold my house to a "Property Management" company in Dec of 2005. I was going to lose it to foreclosure, and they offered to buy it from me to help me out of the foreclosure. They gave me $60,000 and I walked away. In 2006 I tried to apply for another apartment, and the landlord told me that I had a $180,00 "glip" on my credit report. I found out that it was due to the house I sold the previous year was still on my report. I called the company that bought my house, and they said that until they re-sell the house that I would remain on the mortgage, and that the house was only in a "trust" with my name still on it. All this time the guy keeps saying that with the market the way it is he can't get rid of the house unless he short sells it. That will only get his name off the house, and I will still be responsible for the amount left, and I have to claim it as income in 2010. A real estate lawyer said that if this guy in the last 3 1/2 years hasn't been keeping up with the mortgage enough to keep it out of foreclosure, then I should just go and change the locks and move back in. I live in Florida, and I am unsure what to do with the family that is living in the house. They are (by law) not under any month to month lease with me (owner) they are under a month to month with the property management company. Do I have to give them a notice to move? Or do I have the right to get rid of them right away. And am I truly the real owner of the house because I am on the deed and mortgage? HELP ME... Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2009, 08:23 PM

Did you sign a contract with this firm? If so, what does the contract say? That will determine what you can and can't do.

Apr 10, 2009, 08:31 PM

I signed a piece of paper that said that I would not have anything to do with the property and I gave them all the rights to the house and so forth, but they can't just take over the house etc and not file paperwork for 4 years, and not pay the mortgage and allow the house to go into foreclosure, and then work out a deal with the mortgage company to "refresh" the loan, and then again not pay the first payment when due, and make this all come back to me and runin my credit. They should be responsible to pay the mortgage whether the property is rented or not, and not allow foreclosure. Or I should get the house back. Isn't there a statute of limitations on filing a deed? They expected to sell the house right away, but they didn't, now I've been the sufferer for 3 1/2 years.

Apr 10, 2009, 08:34 PM

Did you get a copy of that paper and what does it actually say? Take it to a real estate lawyer and have him tell you what your rights or responsibilities are.

Apr 10, 2009, 08:36 PM

A real estate lawyer said that if this guy in the last 3 1/2 years hasn't been keeping up with the mortgage enough to keep it out of foreclosure, then I should just go and change the locks and move back in. I live in Florida, and I am unsure what to do with the family that is living in the house. They are (by law) not under any month to month lease with me (owner) they are under a month to month with the property management company. Do I have to give them a notice to move? Or do I have the right to get rid of them right away. And am I truly the real owner of the house because I am on the deed and mortgage? HELP ME... Thanks(from original post)

Apr 11, 2009, 05:44 AM

Did this real estate lawyer see the contract you signed? If not, then I would not act on his advice. I suspect his premise is that the buyer agreed to keep up the mortgage and by not doing so, violated the terms of the contract making it void.

But without seeing the wording of the contract I can't say whether that would fly. Also you don't know if the mortgage has been paid or not. If the mortgage is in your name you should be able to find out.

But I am very hesitant to advise that you just take possession of the property. Without a court order authorizing it or at least firm legal grounds, you could find yourself in big trouble.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 06:04 AM

Hello Blue:

Take your piece of paper to a different lawyer... No lawyer, who is worth his salt, is going to tell you to change the locks on the tenant and move in... YOU will be subject to a big lawsuit if you did that.

Plus, when you talk to that lawyer, HIRE him to fix your situation. Don't just get some advice...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 06:08 AM

You signed basically a contract with them having power of attorney over the house, this is common in these types of sales and we warn againt them all the time on here when it comes up.

You are obligated to every term in the contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Sold car "As Is" buyer now wants a refund [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, two days ago I sold a car that I was not aware had any issues. When the buyer was looking they drove it and looked at it extensively. I had driven the car regularly without any issues, but had just purchased another car. The purchaser did initially have a couple of concerncs and wanted me to...

"Sold old furniture on account $ 6000" how do we record in sales journal ? [ 3 Answers ]

In the above the name of customer is not given so what shoud we write in sales journal?

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search