Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Sep 12, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Water Filter
    Greetings,

After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I thought I would flush the HWH to see if that was the problem.

(to read more of the HWH epic, go to the bottom of the post)

Additionally, I am in the process of installing a whole house filter where it enters the house so that I will catch any large chunks there that make it through the city water supply.

Also, since we have a recirc line connected to the HWH at the drain valve, I installed a ball valve when I re-installed the recirc line. So, I will be able to flush the HWH regularly. Speaking of flushing, should I let it run until it is cold or just until it appears clean? How often should I do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

The Epic story of changing a Water Heater

It definitely was as I used a kitchen strainer to see what was coming out. When it didn't stop coming out when the water was cold, I let the cold water supply keep running. And Running, And Running. After about an hour or so of doing this, we decided that if there was that much in there, and the supply of hot water seemed much less than before, and we have a larger whirlpool tub than before, to replace it with a bigger HWH.

I shut off the water and let the HWH drain. When I got back from Homer Land, the water was still draining out. So I commenced to take things apart from the top down. There was no union in the recirc line so I had to cut that open about half way down the side of the HWH. Water came out the top of the but pipe. Even after almost 2 hours, the HWH had only drained out half of its capacity of 50 gallons.

I finally got the water moving faster by rocking the HWH which must have dislodged some chunks. Finally, after repeated shakings I was able to get most of the water out so that I could move the HWH out of the way.

When I took off the remaining parts of the recirc line, was able to poke into the drain hole. I felt crud as far up as I could put my finger. I knew I should have flushed it more consistently.

This is a lesson that I will take to my pocket book, er I mean, to heart.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2006, 06:34 PM
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Filter Systems [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently using an ionizing water filter system (Bel Ozono sold in South America) with two filters to treat water from a cistern. My concern in addition to giardia is decomposing animal matter (insects, lizards, snakes that fall in and drown). I wonder if there is a more effective undersink...

Water dripping onto furnace filter [ 4 Answers ]

This will probably be hard to diagnose without seeing the problem but I though I would run it by you guys since the HVAC tech wasn't sure what to do. I have a lennox heat pump with the furnace in our garage. It is an upflow unit so the filter is at the bottom of the unit with the coils and drip pan...

Whole House water filter [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend I replaced my old water softener with a new one. While looking at the different models at Lowe's, I also noticed that they recommend a whole house water filter as a "pre-filter". As long as I was replacing the water softener, I figured I might as well add the filter. While I...

Whole house water filter [ 3 Answers ]

Recently we delt w/ a partial blockage of our boiler heating coil. We assumed it was from calcification but after the blockage was flushed by the heating repair person, we found it to be small chips of rock/sand. To prevent it further I would like to filter the water as it comes into the house...

Culligan whole house water filter [ 2 Answers ]

Found one at Ace Hardware. Any suggestions on any other stores that I would find this whole house water filter at? Doing a comparison shop so I can get the best price to have my neighbor install it in 1 month.

View more questions Search