Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 10, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Class action over overdraft fees in Atlanta - SUNTRUST Banks Inc.
    Lawsuit Filed Against SunTrust Banks, Inc. Regarding Overdraft Fees

Lawsuit claims that SunTrust engages in unfair and bad faith business practices with respect to its assessment of overdraft fees on consumer checking accounts.
    Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) April 10, 2009 -- Atlanta-based law firm Webb, Klase & Lemond, LLC has filed a class action lawsuit against SunTrust Banks, Inc. alleging that SunTrust engages in fraudulent, deceptive, unfair, and bad faith business practices with respect to its assessment of overdraft fees on consumer checking accounts. The suit also claims that SunTrust, which is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, has engaged in improper and unfair practices in order to increase the number and amount of overdraft and/or service fees imposed upon consumers' accounts. The case, styled Peterson v. SunTrust Banks, Inc. was filed in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Georgia on April 8, 2009 and has been assigned Case No. 2009CV167326.
    According to the suit, Webb, Klase & Lemond's client had overdraft fees deducted from her consumer checking account even though there were sufficient funds in her account to cover the transactions in question.

In addition, the suit alleges that SunTrust routinely enforces a policy whereby charges incurred are posted to consumer accounts in order of largest to smallest amounts, even when larger charges occur days after smaller charges in an effort to maximize the number and amount of overdraft and/or service fees imposed upon consumer accounts. SunTrust's policy allows it to post items to an account in an order that is not chronologically based and is not based on any other proper rationale.

Plaintiff asserts that SunTrust could easily program its software systems to minimize insufficient funds fees without any increased costs to SunTrust.

Instead, SunTrust has programmed its systems to order charges in such a way as to maximize fee income. The Complaint alleges that at the very least, these practices violate SunTrust's obligation to act in good faith and to deal fairly with customers; at worst, they amount to fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices.

Source: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/04/prweb2315504.htm

Insufficient/unavailable funds penalty 1
    Extended overdraft fee2
    $ 35.00
    $ 36.00 (effective 5/1/09)
    $ 35.00
    $ 36.00 (effective 5/1/09)

And I thought this type of activity was limited to the UK, but it seems to be spreading, RAPIDLY!!

It's about time the Banks stop treating us as "Cash Cows" and treated us with the respect we deserve..
    dgratias Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Get on them and stay on them, and if they don't make it right, sue them. If we don't stand up and fight back we 'are getting' walked all over. For too many years we have listened to the fallacy of reason that went like this: It will cost more to defend ourselves than to... [pay whatever the fees are etc]. Well, the costs got real high. We are letting the banks make their money in their deceptive and dishonest ways. Stand up for principal. Geez, so what if it costs--it costs them too. Google it and find the forms and file it yourself. Most judges will listen to a reasonable person with a thought out, documented issue. It is our American obligation.
    jimmyjames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 09:04 AM
    HI! I was a victim of suntrust overdraft fee scams! They"STOLE" over $900 from me in the following manner. I am unemployed and receive direct deposit unemployment compensation, as well as money transfers from PAY PAL from eBay selling. Well the bank realized the dates these direct deposits would arrive.They would "HOLD" the direct deposits from both long enough to create an overdraft and begin a "snowball effect". I had proof from PAY PAL of the direct deposits being accepted by my bank as well as unemployment deposits, yet the bank would not post these until an overdraft occurred.This practice started small and each month got larger and larger. Until finally they set up the overdraft fees to snowball into an amount that took ALL my unemployment as well as EBAY earnings in fees. Well over $900! At this time in our economy when we are living hand to mouth this is "criminal" activity in my mind. When I went to the bank with proof of deposits being accepted but not posted to my account all they said was.. "it dosent show" "sorry" "we can't do anything about it" WITH A FAKE SMILE AND SMIRK.. SHE SAID IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE CAN HELP YOU WITH!! If it wasent for my familys help I would have starved.. they took all I had in the world, and I still haven't fully recovered financially from this. I left SUNTRUST and joined a credit union that has much fairer policies. But I will never forget what SUNTRUST did to me and the $900+ dollars I lost forever! James
    camden07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 05:47 AM
    What do I have to do to get in on this lawsuit against Suntrust

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fees charged for overdraft protection [ 17 Answers ]

Are there any class action suits pending against banks or other lending instituions over outrageous fees charged for overdraft of debit cards ? Here is a letter I sent to my Congressional Representative this weekend : Sir , My daughter has been a frequent victim of what I consider to...

What to do to start a class action suit [ 10 Answers ]

I need to know what steps to take (follow) to file a class action suit against a predatory lender.

Overdraft fees [ 3 Answers ]

I checked a checking account balance which showed positive figures, then deposited another check. At midnight that night the check that was deposited had not cleared and the account was overdrafted 5 times. The bank reimbursed me for 3 of those overdrafts via a telephone service and recommended...

How do you begin a class-action lawsuit? [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing business with a company that I have suddenly discovered is providing false information in their marketing and in their manuals and int the customers ervice and I am not alone in how much time and $ this company has cost me and my business. I never would have had the problems with the...

View more questions Search