Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Honda civic idle trouble
    Hi
    I am new to this forum but id like to ask some question

My civic is a 2000 model vtec 1.6 (manual tansmission) and has some idling problem
    It stalls if the engine is cold when I drive it. The only time it stall when I shift it into neutral, but when its hot its OK. I never had this kind of problem before, I already have honda checked it but it still comes back.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2006, 06:53 AM
    It could be your spark plugs and air filter, if they haven't been changed lately. On platinum and iridium plugs, cut the recommended service life in half. Use the exact NGK spark plug that came in your Honda. Consider replacing the distributor cap and rotor. Also, make sure you are using the recommended viscosity engine oil--I prefer full synthetics. If the problem still persists, have your Idle Air Control Valve, idle speed, and timing checked. These type of performance problems frequently develop by not performing regular routine maintenance. Honda owners are notorius for neglecting the electrical system, until something goes wrong. Part of this comes about because of the Honda "mystique." People mistakenly think these cars are so reliable that they don't have to worry about them, which is true up to a point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic high idle [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1991 civic and I can't get it smogged because the idle won't go below 2000 rpm until it warms up then it surges. Any ideas what the problem could be?

2001 Honda Civic rough idle & stalling [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Honda Civic, with approx. 77k miles, that recently has started idling very low. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often, when I'm coming to a stop, the car shakes violently and I can see that the idle is very low. This has been occurring for the past 2 months. When it first...

Honda-civic-96 trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's 96 honda civic with over 100,000 miles would turn over some sluggishly when I tried to crank so I replaced battery and then car would turn over a lot but not crank for several tries and finally it cranked. I drove it down the road and up hills with no problems and pulled in drive way and...

Honda Civic CX trouble again [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. Had so much good advice last time, I thought I'd come back for more. Honda Civic CX 1995 model. Battery and everything electrical works but it won't start! Just clicks, doesn't even try to turn over. Is this the starter solonoid (or whatever it's called! Lol) It's now sitting in the parking...

91 Honda Civic surging at idle [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 91 Honda Civic DX, the engine surges around 500rpm (guessing) at an idle, seems to get worse in hot weather. Car runs great other than that but after reading other post I'm sure I will be replacing my master relay soon! I have had times when the car would not start, I just cycle the key...

View more questions Search