Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eightclip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 12:27 AM
    Fishy Smell In Bedroom!!
    I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we have hanging in the room. When I got up close it smelled like burnt wires, but it defintly had the fishy smell tinge to it.

Check your LIGHTS, check them VERY VERY carefully!! It could be just this, I'm psyched I found the answer, just trying to help others..

The internet helped me!! Ha ha.
    Alligator Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eightclip
    I suffered from this ailment as of recently and couldn't figure out the culprate it always appeared in different area's of the room and i couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally found the problem, we had a 100W bulb in a 60W socket, and it was burning/melting the base of the ikea lamp we have hanging in the room. when i got up close it smelled like burnt wires, but it defintly had the fishy smell tinge to it.

Check your LIGHTS, check them VERY VERY carefully!!! it could be just this, i'm psyched i found the answer, just trying to help others..

the internet helped me!!! ha ha.
    We have just been dealing with the very same problem (fish smell) - we were in the process of gutting our guestroom so that the insurance company could come in, tear-up the carpet and check for mold, etc. when I found this website and read about the LIGHT issue --- surprise, surprise, we had 2, 100 watt bulbs in a light fixture designed for max. 40watt bulbs. We turned the light off in the room, removed the bulbs, and hallelujah, for the 1st time in over a month, our room has not smelt fishy. We are absolutely "over the moon" about it. What a big relief --- thanks to all of you for helping us figure this out !

The Brost Family
    seebee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Sorry if this is already here - I thought the breakdown of the material , either phenol formaldehyde (bakelite) or urea formaldehyde (probably the urea - its in urine too) produces the ammonia derivative gas as a breakdown product hence fishy - urine like smell from breakdown of plastic/bakelite material on light fitting. Replace with normal bulb and replace light fitting and it goes away

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy smell in bathroom lighting [ 14 Answers ]

OK, what can it be... we have read many sites that suggest that it is the electrical lighting in bathroom... even electrician is stumped... help...

The Bedroom [ 15 Answers ]

I have been with my wife for nine years this month we will see our fifth wedding anniversary. We have two fantastic kids and are very happy and I believe still deeply in love with each other... However just lately the only time we make love is when my wife has been out and under the influence...

Odd things happening/fishy smells [ 21 Answers ]

I have been having some odd experiences lately and would like some possible answers. First, about my house. My house is only 16 years old, with only 2 previous owners. They were 2 families, and no one ever died in the house or in any of the houses in my neighborhood. About 2 years ago, strange...

Bad Smell in Bedroom - Fishy! [ 17 Answers ]

My 17 yr old sons bedroom has, for the past 2 months, had an awful smell - like strong fish - which really catches the back of your throat! I know most people will say all boys rooms smell - but this is different! It started two months ago - for no apparent reason. His sisters say it is him - he...

Damp Smell in Bedroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, all. On one side of my son's 2nd floor bedroom, a musty smell will become noticeable every time we close his door more than 1/2 way for more than 10-15 minutes. This has been happening since we moved in 2 months ago. It does not coincide to rain and comes back after you air out the room. ...

View more questions Search