Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Fake green bills
    Hi,

At the end of May 2006, I withdrew $1,000 (in 10 of $100 bills) from a local Bank of America branch, and gave these money to my sister as her wedding gift. Last month, my sister, who lives in another country, went to her local bank to exchange these $1,000 into local currency. However, the bank cashier told her that 2 out of 10 of these $100 bills are fake. Luckily the bank did not trash these fake green bills, instead, they let my sister keep the bills.

I was totally shocked by their finding. This is the first time that I have ever heard of and encountered the case of fake green bills. I do recall that those $100 bills the BA cashier gave me at the time of withdrawal were not brand new. But I did not pay attention back then because I would never thought that a bank will give customer fake bills. Looking back, one thing is suspicious though - at the day of the transaction there was a long line of people in front of me waiting for withdrawals. A guy in front of me seemed to deposit thousands of dollars. I went to the same cashier's window after this guy was gone. The cashier seemed to be short of cash so she seemed to simply take $1,000 from what this guy just put in.

Is there anything I can do to get my $200 back? Is there any law that protects cutomers from such frauds? My concern is that how I can prove that these 2 fake bills came from this particular BA branch? - I mean, I banked only in this branch, and I never withdrew any $100 bill from any other banking center or ATM, but how can I prove it?

I would appreciate if you can give me any piece of advice on how to fight this issue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2006, 09:58 PM
    I doubt that you can prove it, Unless that branch found other fake bills that few days and will admit it.

I would go to the bank VP at that location and tell them the story and hope you get one that is honest.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2006, 06:05 AM
    You might find this article interesting:

http://kutv.com/getgephardt/local_story_214003035.html

As the article states, the last person to receive the bills, by law, incurs the losses. However, if someone knowlingly passes the counterfeits, they can be in even more trouble.

Be thankful you didn't lose more.
    luby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Thanks both of you for your reply. It helps. From now on I should be more careful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
    This site should help in detecting counterfeits.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fake zoning in two story house. [ 3 Answers ]

So I have the relatively common problem of non-uniform heating/cooling in my house and I'd like some input on how to make the best of the situation. I've put up with it for a couple years, but now, I'm at my breaking point. Basics: I have a 1600 sq ft, 15 year old, two story house with a...

Fake Brick on kitchen wall [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?

Fake teeth [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have problems with my gums and teeth.all my top teeth are fake and when I close them toghter they go behind the bottom teeth I got them done about 5 months ago and can't get used to them at all I always finnd it hard to talk cause they get in the way of my tongue and when I got them put in it...

Removing Fake Brick [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to remove fake brick from the kitchen area, because we're remodeling the kitchen.

I was caught making fake money [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was busted for making fake 20's, I passed 8 fake 20 dollar bills. The police found another 15 or so in my trash. I understand that I committed a federal offense, what would be a ballpark of my punishment? I'm a single mom with 2 boys who's father recently committed suicide?

View more questions Search