Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Apr 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Addicted to sleeping/pain pills
    There is no doubt that I'm addicted to sleeping pills (Triazolam) and I must take one every night at bedtime. However, it will only give me at most 4 hours sleep, so in addition to the sleeping pill I take a PM pain/sleep pill. That gives me 6 hours of sleep.
    Now I'm addicted to that as well.
    Do you think it might be dangerous to be addicted to the PM pain pill in addition to the sleeping pill? I realize this addiction cannot be good, but don't know what to do as the sleeping pill is just not enough and my GP refuses to increase the dose from 0.25 mg
    Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 06:17 PM

Are you having health problems that keep you from sleeping? Have you been to the doctors. About this?
    What is keeping you from sleeping?. thinking/worrying too much? Feeling too awake/energetic? Restless tossing and turning?
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Apr 9, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Comment on N0help4u's post
    Advice without reading my question
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 04:52 PM

Sorry I did read the question but I always ask about the going to the doctors anyway.
    Not being able to sleep can be caused by many reasons stress, sleep apnea, adrenaline burn out,.
    So it is hard to say why you can't sleep if the doctor hasn't diagnosed something that is why I asked. You simply said you get sleeping pills from the doctor so that doesn't tell me much of anything.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:35 AM

To answer your question - yes, any addiction is dangerous. Your Physician must also realize this if you can't get the dosage increased.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 01:09 PM

Yes you need to get to the root of the cause so you can get the problem corrected instead of relying on sleeping pills.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

Apr 11, 2009, 09:13 PM

Sleeping is so very important to our overall wellbeing. Sleeping pills with pain pills are a very dangerous combination and should never be taken together without medical supervision. Its time to get back with the doctor and come up with a safe fix for your insomnia. Your doctor should be more willing to help you find the cause and offer you safe ways to get the ZZZs you need.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Apr 12, 2009, 09:44 AM
    As Judy stated all addiction is in fact dangerous.
    In all honesty the longer you stay addicted the more your brain reworks itself so that the addiction becomes "normal".

You need to do as suggested and try and get to the bottom of the reasons you can not sleep and try and find natural ways to handle the inability to sleep. This way you can not work on adding more medications and you can work on slowly stop taking sleeping meds all together.

Without knowing though why you are having issues of sleeping (other meds causing it, pain, stress, racing mind, etc) There is little though that anyone can really suggest.
    If the Doctor will not increase it I am sure there is good reason
    How long has it been that you have been on the dose you are prescribed now?

Believe me the longer you take these meds and adding more and more can only muck you up worse. The longer you take these meds the harder for you to get off them and go back to normal sleep methods and patterns.
    This is likely why the Doctor is not wanting to up the dosage because they do not want you actually dependent forever and do not want to make the dependency worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Addicted to diet pills [ 4 Answers ]

Ive always been the girl who has been concerened with her weight... I was really skinny in the 9th grade and then when I got with my boyfriend I got comfertable. So comfy that my weight shot up to about 160 pounds this made me a very inscure person and my boyfriend and his mom always knew that.....

Addicted to sleeping pills [ 7 Answers ]

My doctor started me on sleeping pills, now I can't sleep without them. Every night I take one prescribed TERAZOLAM 1.25MG plus one PM over the counter pill. It gives me sleep OK but I'd rather not depend on them. For rehab do I just STOP and not sleep for a month? Or is there an easier way?...

Sleeping pills [ 5 Answers ]

Does it mean I'm addicted to sleeping pills when they no longer work for me? I've been popping them like m&ms and still can't fall asleep.:(

Addicted to sleeping pills [ 9 Answers ]

Almost 5 years ago, a doctor perscribed stilnox for me to help with sleeping since I had depression and couldn't sleep. Gradually, I started taking more and more of the pills to fall asleep.. and afterwards, I started taking them during the day because I believed they made me feel better, or at...

Sister addicted to prescription pain pills, how do I save her kids [ 18 Answers ]

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me w/ getting some info... Is anyone familiar w/ the "marchment act"? My sister has had an opiate addiction for over 3 years now, my mother and I tried an intervention w/ her and was able to get her in to tx for detox. We now believe that she is using...

View more questions Search