Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Gas Line - who to call?
    Hi - I'm not sure who I would call for this. I know to call an electrician for electric issues and a plumber for water/sewer... but who would I call for a gas line? A gastrician?

We have gas hot water and a hook up for a gas range and dryer. What I would love is an outside gas hook up for my grill. We have one at our old place and use the grill as much or more than the range but our new house doesn't have an outside connection.

Would I just call the gas company? Or is this something a general contractor would handle? Local handyman? I am comfortable with most home improvement projects, but draw the line with flammable gas.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 03:36 PM

You need to call the company that provides your gas. They are trained to come out and solve gas line related issues. Or you can call a licensed plumber to do the work but ultimately you have to inform your gas supplier of the additional gasline and they would have to come out and test and inspect the line to be sure it is properly hooked up.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 08:51 AM

Most of the folks you named can do this job but a plumber would be my first choice. The job is no more difficult than adding a new water line in your home but there is more of a safety issue with NG. Most every gas appliance has its own shut off and many have a trap below the regulator where you can tap on. CSST is a frequent time saver but requires some skill to properly install. Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) for Gas Distribution
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2009, 11:43 AM

They won't sell the outdoor hookup device to a non-trade person so it's not DIY.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Gas piping is where I draw the line for homeowners, handymen, etc... ;)

Your gas company may fit gas pipes or you will need to call a plumber licensed to fit gas pipes (most plumbers). He/she decides what size pipe and pipe type is required. That plumber should pull a gas permit and should install the work according to local code requirements. Then the plumber should perform a gas test on his work and call for inspection by local authority.

Be clear that if you use newer CSST flexible gas line and you do not have a permit on the work and something as small as a gas leak or as big as a fire occurs (God forbid) it could potentially void your homeowner's insurance policy. They tell you to find the plumber that installed it and sue them.

It sounds a bit involved and it is for good reason!

Let us know if you want to discuss more.

MARK
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 06:44 AM

I ended up calling the gas company who referred me to a local plumbing contractor who will come out, assess, estimate and install if I want.

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer. I'm tearing out the...

Got a call from a collection agency who was taping my call [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a call from a collection agaency and wanted to gather information about a mastercard debt I owe. I told them that I don't own a mastercard, then they preceded to tell me my ss # and asked me if it was mine. I told them that the ss # was mine and how did they get my ss # since I don't own...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search