Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bthizzle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
    CSS and HTML background exposed without horizontal scrollbars
    I know this is done within the design of a 'fluid' website layout... but for some reason I just can't figure out how it is done with a fixed width design/layout.

What I'm trying to accomplish is having a background image used, but the size of the background image DOESN'T cause the viewer's horizontal scrollbar to come up.

I'll try to explain it, but remember if I knew the correct terms to use... then maybe I would have found my answer during Google searches for it... please bare with me.

I have a layout that is 1024x768, horizontally centered. But if someone comes with a larger resolution set monitor, I would like for the main layout (1024x768) to still be centered WHILE having the background image reveal more of itself. Now, what's tricking me up is that (for example there are some sites listed below) while I'm sizing my monitor from 1024x768 and larger the scroll bar never comes up... the horizontal scrollbar only comes up when I go down under 1024x768.

Using FF and web designer tool bar, and my monitor which is 1680 x 1050... the background is a full image, while both sites above are much smaller (content area) as I lower resolution each one reduces and the hor. Scrollbar doesn't appear until I get to the main content area, while the background image is much larger? How is this done?
    kbjr14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 10:36 PM
    I don't know if this works in the body section, but if you are OK with using css level 3, then you can use overflow. Try this:

body{
    overflow-x: hidden;
    }

again, I don't know if it will work in body, but its worth a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been exposed to asbestos [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a 100 year old house which I have been renovating for many years. My laundry machines are in the basement which has a tile floor. Over the years, a significant number of tiles have cracked and broken and I would pick them up and throw them away. Two weeks ago someone told me that...

Exposed tooth [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a tooth that is broken and requires a root canal, can it be temporarily concealed since the break just occurred and I need to set the root canal up?

Exposed wire [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I'm finishing my basement. I have a family room and a bedroom. My question is that I will also be putting in a bathroom later, much later. But I want to run the wires for the bath so they can inspect them. So do wires have to be hidden behind sheet rock at the final inspection or what's the...

Exposed romex [ 2 Answers ]

Does revised nec permit romex in exposed area of work shed?

Exposed Romex [ 2 Answers ]

I started to put down batts insulation in the attic space above garage and noticed that the wiring coming from one of the outlets was stripped a little too much and one of the leads of the romex is actually exposed outside of the electrical box. I'd like to correct this before putting insulation...

View more questions Search