Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subsab Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
    F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form
    I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia.
    I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now.
    I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from an online job. They are saying they will send me my check by mail and that I need to fill out at the end of the year a 1099 misc form for tax.
    My question is : Do I have the legal wright to take this "job" (independent contractor) or shall it be a violation of my F1 visa status. Does filling the 1099 form with my W2 will cause any problem? If not how much should I pay for taxes..
    Looking forward to your response. If any information is missing please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 12, 2006, 06:35 PM
    A lot depends on how much you make as an independent contractor AND what your deductible expenses would be. If the amount is relatively small, then it would probably not be a problem.

I recently prepared a return for another student just like you. My research indicated no violation for working as an independent contractor.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Sep 13, 2006, 05:46 AM
    This is not really a tax question but a question about your immigration status. An F1 visa does not allow you to take off campus employment anywhere or anytime you want. You can only take employment under specific circumstances, such as through OPT or CPT and there are hardship provisions too.

But generally, an F1 student cannot simply go out and find employment. This is illegal. I would encourage you not to do this because it is a violation of your status.

You should contact your university's international office to talk about this. Here's something from U of Houston's international office FAQs:

"Is it true that during the summer I can work anywhere and do not need to obtain special permission?
    This is FALSE! If you are in legal full-time F-1 status, you may work anywhere on-campus during the summer (full-time or part-time) but off-campus employment ALWAYS requires special permission from DHS or ISSSO."

Good luck with your situation.

Sep 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
    I appreciate your help.
    Thanks

Sep 13, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Appreciate it also Taxsearcher.
    Thanks for advice.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2006, 04:40 PM
    TaxSearcher's word is GOLD!
    rajeshekara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 07:52 PM
    I guess the tax searcher can answer my question. But, anyway this question can be answered by anbody. So, here is my question.

I'm currently on F1 Visa and I got the opportunity to work using my CPT. As you know, if I work directly to any company as a CPT holder, I would get a very less pay per hour. Instead, can I work on 1099 as I get more paid for the same job I'm seeking for.

The company pays

$55 if worked using 1099

OR

$25 if worked on CPT

So, can I go for 1099..?

I desparately need your suggestion.

Thanks
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by taxsearcher
    This is not really a tax question but a question about your immigration status. An F1 visa does not allow you to take off campus employment anywhere or anytime you want. You can only take employment under specific circumstances, such as through OPT or CPT and there are hardship provisions too.

But generally, an F1 student cannot simply go out and find employment. This is illegal. I would encourage you not to do this because it is a violation of your status.

You should contact your university's international office to talk about this. Here's something from U of Houston's international office FAQs:

"Is it true that during the summer I can work anywhere and do not need to obtain special permission?
    This is FALSE! If you are in legal full-time F-1 status, you may work anywhere on-campus during the summer (full-time or part-time) but off-campus employment ALWAYS requires special permission from DHS or ISSSO."

Good luck with your situation.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Technically, you should NOT work on CPT as an independent contractor (under Form 1099). It is a technical violation of your F-1 visa.

As a practical matter, the IRS does not really care; all they are concerned about is whether you file a tax return and pay the taxes.

You will have to file a Form 1040NR with a Schedule C instead of the easier Form 1040NR-EZ.

You will have to file a quatertly estimated tax return and mail in a payment on 15 April, 15 June, 15 September and 15 January (for the following year) to cover your expected tax liability. This replaces the withholding that the employer is required to do if you get paid under a W-2.

Many companies do not give the student a choice; they just hire them as independent contractors, or refuse to hire them at all.

Since, as a student on a F-1 visa working in his field of study, you are NOT subject to either Social Security and Medicare taxes or (as a independent contractor), self-employment taxes, it makes NO DIFFERENCE tax-wise, at least initially.

BOTTOM LINE: If you can make OVER twice as much money on CPT by working as a contractor, do it. Money talks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 06:37 AM
    If there is no violation, you should prefer working as independent contractor at higher pay. Normally an independent contractor pays double the social security and medicare taxes than a W2 employee. But in your case, you are exempt from these taxes for five years.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Agreed!
    knr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
    As an Independent Contractor, you do not need to wait for your year end 1099 to pay tax. You can pay quarterly tax as you earn. This could keep IRS happy.
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Hello

F1 students are encouraged to perform only on-campus related jobs, or jobs outside campus during their OPT.

It is not encouraged to work as an independent contractor.

But if you have 1099 income and W-2 income, as you are considered a Non Resident Alien, file Tax Forms 1040NR EZ , Form 8843 and Schedule C to be in compliance with the IRS.

Hope this helps!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Subsab:

Working as an independent contractor is a violation of your F-1 visa. However, NOT reporting the 1099 income is even worse, because the IRS IS EXPECTING that you file a Schedule C to claim that income.

As to how bad a violation it is, I cannot comment as I am NOT an immigration attorney. I suspect it is not a very bad violation, however. Recommend you post this questionon the LAW forum under Immigration Law.

To file a Schedule C, you must file Form 1040NR; Schedule C cannot be filed with Form 1040NR-EZ.
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search