Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DLH63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 09:42 AM
    Goodman Gas furnace with no heat
    I have a Goodman GMP Series gas split unit furnace that I had installed approx 12 years ago. I have had no problems at all until this week and there is no heat. Someone at the gas company said that it may be the glow plug. It does not light up at all when the furnace kicks on. I have called several heating and air people but with no one calling me back it is time to take matters in my own hands. Is this part easy to replace? It looks like just a screw holds it in. I have the repair parts booklet and the installlation manuals from my installer (who is no longer in this area). I do not see something listed as a "glow plug" so what is the correct name of the part I am looking for.
    Thanks for any help.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Igniter
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:18 PM

It may be listed as a "Hot surface ignitor" it will look like it is made of carbon, it is a dark gray and it will have two electrical leads going to it. If you find it a good way to check it is to disconnect the wires at the little pull apart connection. Then use a volt meter to see if you get 120 volts when it is time in the cycle for it to come on. Also look at it and see if you see a crack or maybe a spot that looks like it is a little white, if you see them that means it is bad.

On installing a new one be very carful because it is very brittle and do no touch the gray part with your fingers the oil in your fingers is not good for it.

If this helps let me know.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:43 PM

Letmetellu's advice is right on and I might add that the Goodman furnace is notorious for getting the orifice on the induced draft blower housing plugged up , this has the small tube attached to it, just stick a small wire or drill bit through it to make sure it clear, good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat sensor in a goodman furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Gentlemen I have read questions that others have had about their goodman furnaces.Well mine does the same thing... cycles several times but does not fire. If left on for about an hour or so, it might eventually work. One answer was that the heat sensor was dirty, full of soot or something. I had a...

Goodman Furnace does not produce heat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to understand how I can fix a Goodman GMPN Condensing Gas Furnace. Problem: Heating Mode - I start the heating phase by selecting higher temperature on the thermostat to get the furnace in heater mode. There is a small fan that starts for about 30sec then everything just...

Goodman GMT Furnace won't give heat unless [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace just went on the fritz about 4 days ago after starting to run very loudly. I open the unit and started playing with few switches and maually turn this big round looking knob, for lack of a better word. Oddly enough the unit kick into gear and work for about two days. Now the furnace...

Goodman furnace/ no heat [ 10 Answers ]

My Goodman furnace was working just fine the other day, but now I can hear it trying to start up but nothing happens. The cold air works just fine. It has no pilot light, works with internal ignition. I've done what the maunal suggests to check before calling someone out but nothing has changed....

Goodman Furnace and Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I am shopping for a new HVAC system, have received a quote that sounds very good but I have never heard of a Goodman system. I trust the local dealer. What is the general feeling about Goodman products? My house is about 1250 sq ft, furnace proposed is 90,000 BTU Heat Pump is 14 SEER, located in...

View more questions Search