Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    virginiawife Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
    IRS Collection actions--$2000 debt
    My husband and I owed the IRS about $4000 for which we had been paying faithfully on for a while and got it down to $2000. When my husband lost his job in October 2008, I called the IRS and told them I would be unable to make payments until he went back to work (he is self employed and could not get unemployment). The representative was very nice and said to keep them up to date but that it would probably be all right because of the small amount owed. We heard nothing else until about a week ago. An agent apparently came to our house and left information in the door. I immediately called and she said that the IRS was pursuing legal collection action because we owed money and that we did not file taxes in 2006. I told them I did file and that I had paid it as part of the original $4000--why didn't they tell me this when I made payment arrangements the first time if that was the case? She told me that they had no record of it being filed and asked me to send her a copy immediately--I know I filed it because the tax preparer got my child's SSN wrong and I had to provide them with a copy of his Social Security Card. Anyhow, I have sent the rep a copy of the taxes. In the mean time, she said that she is placing a lien on my home for the amount owed. This seems a bit excessive for oweing $2000--even if the 2006 taxes added to it--that should have been in the original tax bill--it is only $500.

I know I am dealing with the US Government, but this seems excessive. Any ideas (aside from just paying it which is not really an option right now). My husband just went back to work and I cannot afford to make the payments just yet and we are filling out hardship papers with the IRS, but I am just worried of my rights. Am I missing something here? Thanks
    WebsiteSolution Posts: 85, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2009, 05:36 PM

They probably won't put a lien on your house but they may put a lien on your bank account. As long as you can prove you filed your taxes, you should be okay. Just make sure you put everything in writing, when you call get the name and ID# for every rep you talk to. Keep your corespondence FOREVER.
    virginiawife Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Apr 9, 2009, 06:06 AM
    The person specifically stated they were filing a lien against my home with the courthouse so that they could "protect the interests of the government". So, they can freeze my checking account? Isn't that a bit much? I sent a copy of my taxes to them with receipt verification. This is absolutely crazy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

Can a debt collector put a lien on a persons house?

Cancled Debt and Collection Debt showing up on Report [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions I have a 1099-C from 2007, regarding a credit card debt that was canceled. Just today, I was notified I had a collection account appear on my report. (I have credit guard watch). I understand I have to claim the 1099-C on my Taxes as "income" on my report. (1) Since I have...

Debt collection [ 20 Answers ]

Is there any way to eliminate credit card judgments? Do debt collector have the right to collect from you when the original creditor charged it off?

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

View more questions Search