Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Lay Off
    I need some advice. I am going to have to lay off our adminisrative assistant next week. This is my first time doing anything like thia snd I am very nervous. I am going to do it on Wednesday and pay her through Friday. Any suggestions on how I should handle this??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 04:38 PM

Already have a letter prepared stating that she was laid off due to ______ and have someone in authority sign it. If you liked her work and the signer wants to add something like she was a good worker, etc. that's okay to add as well.

Bring her into a private place, sit her down, give her the letter to read and let her read it before you say anything to her. She will naturally be stunned, but when you tell her you will be paying her through Friday that should help a little as well. She will also be eligible for UI, but that in itself is no consolation for being laid off but it sure beats getting fired.

Give her a few minute to compose herself and take her back to her work station so she can collect her personal things and say her goodbyes to everyone. Ask her if she would like her last paycheck mailed to her or will she be picking it up on Friday (or whenever your payday is).

Apr 8, 2009, 04:44 PM

Thank you for the help! So I need to have her read through a letter stating that she has been laid off before I say anything? Do I need to give her a reason why? We did not get a large contract we were anticipating and we just simply do not have work for her. That's it in a nutshell. We have had to address performance issues with her, but that did not contribute to the decision to lay her off. Besides me, she is the only other office person. Am I OK just telling her that we simply do not have any work for her?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 04:59 PM

You could say in the letter that due to company slow down.

Let her read this letter through before you say anything though.

The signer of the letter does not have to give any performance rating or info either. That was just in case she was a good employee.

It should read something like this on Company letterhead dated, of course.

Mary Jones
    123 Maple St
    Maple Grove, Ohio

Dear Mary:

Due to a reduction in business in our company, effective today, April 8, 2009, you are being laid off as a result of lack of work in our company.

Sincerely,
    Mr. Boss

This will cover all possibilities of her not being able to get another job and her being able to successfully collecting UI.

Hope this helps.

Apr 9, 2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks SO much! This is super helpful. I feel much more confident now. Thanks again and Happy Easter! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search