Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CowboyFriendly Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2009, 07:54 AM
    Cult or religion
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I just want to know
    How do we consider a cult as a cult and a religion as a religion?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 08:13 AM

They're all cults, really.

Some of them just get more "respectable" and get called religions.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Generally speaking if they religion you are looking at does not preach/teach the bible and the whole bible as the true and only inspired word of God I would be very suspicious. To learn about a cult one only need look at the teachings/actions of people like David Coresh, Jim Jones and see what the effects of false teachings or the twisting of the Bible does and how to spot it.
    Do you have a specific group you are asking about?
    Here is a listing I found on the internet that is quite interesting. Maybe it will be some help to you.
    They practice separatism and devote much of their time trying to proselyte others.
    Their efforts to convert others are underhanded and manipulative.
    The group's leaders claim to be God's prophets or messiahs or apostles who receive “divine revelations.”
    They teach that all other churches and groups are lost unless they surrender what they have and join them.
    Their leaders are dictatorial and demanding, either directly or subtly.
    They claim to have the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    Members are expected to attend study sessions where they are firmly indoctrinated (“brainwashed”) with the group's mundane creeds and human theories.
    They resent having their doctrines and creeds questioned.
    They believe salvation and afterlife are found only in their camp.
    Those who desert the group are judged evil and apostates.
    They dictate almost every facet of the members' lives—sexual, social, domestic, political, and spiritual.
    They deny that God has other children scattered over the hills and valleys of sectarianism.
    They believe God's elect are found only within the borders of their own enclosure.
    Honest dissidents are disciplined, avoided, and excommunicated.
    They insist on strict conformity to the group's doctrinal standards.
    Their teachings contradict plain truth.
    Their source of authority is of human origin.
    They require a new convert to be rebaptized, even though he was sincerely baptized previously.
    They have devised their own translation of the scriptures and prohibit any translation not approved by them.
    Members are expected to give large amounts of money and ample energy and time to the group's activities.
    They allege to be the only legitimate interpreters of scripture.
    They wrest scripture to foster their belief system.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 01:03 PM

It is a cult by virture of popular belief and social and moral values.

A cult does not have to be a religion by the terms we would think of it, it could be any social or economic or political group also that operates outside of society norms.

Many religions today were considered cults at the time they started.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:04 PM

Simply put: a cult isn't faith-based, religious sects are. A cult is any social group who gather based on similar interests like punk rockers, metal-heads, skinheads, The Crips, even the jocks in your high-school. Generally, high school jocks would be considered a clique just 'cause it's size is small, a cult is reserved for the larger sub-cultures in a society.

And faith-based meaning believing in something unknown.

All religious sects are cults, but not all cults are religious
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:07 PM

Here are some definitions found on the net:

•followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices
    •fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
    •followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader
    •a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist, or false; "it was a satanic cult"

MRS.S
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Generally speaking if they religion you are looking at does not preach/teach the bible and the whole bible as the true and only inspired word of God I would be very suspicious. To learn about a cult one only need look at the teachings/actions of people like David Coresh, Jim Jones and see what the effects of false teachings or the twisting of the Bible does and how to spot it.
    Do you have a specific group you are asking about?
    Here is a listing I found on the internet that is quite interesting. Maybe it will be some help to you.
    They practice separatism and devote much of their time trying to proselyte others.
    Their efforts to convert others are underhanded and manipulative.
    The group’s leaders claim to be God’s prophets or messiahs or apostles who receive “divine revelations.”
    They teach that all other churches and groups are lost unless they surrender what they have and join them.
    Their leaders are dictatorial and demanding, either directly or subtly.
    They claim to have the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    Members are expected to attend study sessions where they are firmly indoctrinated (“brainwashed”) with the group’s mundane creeds and human theories.
    They resent having their doctrines and creeds questioned.
    They believe salvation and afterlife are found only in their camp.
    They dictate almost every facet of the members’ lives—sexual, social, domestic, political, and spiritual.
    They deny that God has other children scattered over the hills and valleys of sectarianism.
    They believe God’s elect are found only within the borders of their own enclosure.
    Honest dissidents are disciplined, avoided, and excommunicated.
    They insist on strict conformity to the group’s doctrinal standards.
    Their teachings contradict plain truth.
    They require a new convert to be rebaptized, even though he was sincerely baptized previously.
    They have devised their own translation of the scriptures and prohibit any translation not approved by them.
    Members are expected to give large amounts of money and ample energy and time to the group’s activities.
    They allege to be the only legitimate interpreters of scripture.
    They wrest scripture to foster their belief system.
    I just can't pass this up---

So... the Christian church is a cult then, right, by the very definitions quoted here?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 02:56 PM

A cult
    The leader wants you to trust him over God
    Most claim to be self taught or fake education credentials
    No independence -cult leaders totally overshadow other leaders within their organization and exhibit lack of trust to members. -
    They usually have a commune where everybody lives and forbid you from friends and family
    -most claim to be self taught or fake education credentials and their teachings are not backed up by any other beliefs or they are taken out of context to fit their own agenda.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    They're all cults, really.

Some of them just get more "respectable" and get called religions.
    Syenne I could not AGREE with you more:D
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2009, 07:31 AM

NO faith based religion believes in this:
    Or this:
    They dictate almost every facet of the members' lives—sexual, social, domestic, political, and spiritual.
    Or this:
    Or:
    Or:
    Members are expected to attend study sessions where they are firmly indoctrinated (“brainwashed”) with the group's mundane creeds and human theories.
    So to Synnen and lighterrr I guess your anti faith comments are just that, anti faith, and have no basis at all!
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:22 AM
    NO faith based religion believes in this:
    Oh really? Since I left Christianity for a pagan faith, I've been spit on, called evil, been told I was going to hell, been threatened with disinheritance, and been told that I will suffer eternity in hell.

or this:
    Tell me one single religion that doesn't have extreme influence on those aspects of their members' lives.
    Sexual: birth control? Yup, there's an opinion. Sex before marriage? Yup, opinion there too. Divorce? Oh, you can be excommunicated for that!
    Social: I'd say that being influenced by your church to try to convert OTHER people to join would have an impact on social lives. Plus--to be really "involved" in the church, much of your social life is taken up with other members of the church.
    Domestic: How about having to raise your kids in the faith? How about some sects that refuse to allow members to celebrate any holiday except those that involve the church? Political: Two words: Gay Marriage.
    Spiritual: This is the ONE area that I would hope any cult would have influence over. Since most cults are ABOUT spiritual well-being, I'd be surprised to find one that didn't have that influence.

or this:
    Are you going to deny that you proselyte to others? Have you NEVER tried to convince someone to come to Jesus? Perhaps the separatism is not so prevalent, but I know of a few sects that DO practice it.

or:
    You going to tell me that some GOD sat down and wrote the Bible? What about church leaders--are they demi-gods? If not, then how do they have any authority here on earth?

or:
    Sunday church. Wednesday church. Sermons. Bible studies. Sermons. Prayer groups.

So to Synnen and lighterrr I guess your anti faith comments are just that, anti faith, and have no basis at all!
    Tell me that my points have no basis, and I'll call you an idiot.

MY point was that ALL religions are cults. Just that not all cults are religions. Call it what you like, but EVERY religion is a cult. It's just that members of some religons get touchy if you point that out.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:49 AM

You know all religions are cults. YES, I believe that but is that such a bad thing to be labelled as a cult. The media seems to put such a NEGATIVE spin on the word making it seem like a taboo. I to left the christian faith for SO MANY reasons and now I don't belong to ANY organised religion I just have a spiritual belief in the existence of God. My point is looking at christian or members of the church now I see them as being hopelessly and completely brainwashed. Hmmm that reminds me of jim jones he had his followers brainwashed also? Then we have what the media calls "muslim extremist" suicide bombers etc. Once again all these are members of a specific religion. The point I'm trying to make is there are similiairites in all of theses example. So you ask is religion a cult well in my opinion YES.

The Merriam-Webster online dictionary lists five different definitions of the word "cult."[16]
    1. Formal religious veneration
    2. A system of religious beliefs and ritual; also: its body of adherents;
    3. A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also: its body of adherents;
    4. A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator;
    5. Great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book).

See religion was man made and it is SO FLAWED and that is why all of this problems wars etc are happening and will still happen, because religion is suppose to bring us closer to our creator instead it divides and sets us apart. But I don't blame some of the members on here that think their religious beliefs have no similarities to a cult. Their only victims of their beliefs that does not allow them to think outside of their very limited and marginalized box.
    If people just believed in God and didn't have so many rules or church doctrines to follow, we would not be faced with many of the problems we have today. A christian would not look at a muslim thinking they are not going to heaven because they don't believe in jesus and don't accept him as their saviour. Why do they do this? Because every Sunday this Christian goes to church and is repeatedly told by their pastor " no one shall enter the gates of heaven without accepting the son of god" come on if that is not brainwashing I really don't know what is. I know what your saying but the scripture says, a scripture that was written by man, and is being upheld by the church. But like the saying goes ignorance is bliss.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 10:51 AM

Hit a sore spot did I?
    Synnen wrote
    "Tell me that my points have no basis, and I'll call you an idiot."
    Name calling only degrades your points to the garbage can where the feeble minded and children go when they have no valid points to make.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Name calling only degrades your points to the garbage can where the feeble minded and children go when they have no valid points to make.
    Well I guess you're both going to the same place. :)
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I just can't pass this up---

So....the Christian church is a cult then, right, by the very definitions quoted here?
    Some churches / sects which call themselves "Christian" might qualify under the definition of cults. But not churches which abide by the Bible.
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

May 3, 2009, 01:32 PM

I can't resist joining this thread.
    There are more religions out there that DON'T follow the Bible.
    Yes, ALL religions are cults, but why is there that stigma. Who is to say what beliefs are wrong. We are all individuals (at least I am) and (supposedly) have our own minds to think. What works for you just might not work for me and vice versa. I just might think that what you believe is down right evil, while you swear by it and think it's the greatest.
    Open-mindedness is what it's going to take to break down these VERY TRIVIAL bickerings- I have yet to see the more"mainstream" religions open up to a possibility that they might be wrong.
    I'm only human, so what I believe might not be the "truth", but it works for me and I don't have to live my life in fear that what I do is going to damn me for all eternity. Lmao!
    I find it hilarious that the more prominent religions like to pick fights using tired, old, rehearsed words that aren't even theirs. Look for some originality and there you will find a free thinker. Lol
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mugger View Post
    i can't resist joining this thread.
    there are more religions out there that DON'T follow the Bible.
    yes, ALL religions are cults, but why is there that stigma. who is to say what beliefs are wrong. we are all individuals (at least i am) and (supposedly) have our own minds to think. what works for you just might not work for me and vice versa. i just might think that what you believe is down right evil, while you swear by it and think it's the greatest.
    open-mindedness is what it's going to take to break down these VERY TRIVIAL bickerings- i have yet to see the more"mainstream" religions open up to a possibility that they might be wrong.
    i'm only human, so what i believe might not be the "truth", but it works for me and i don't have to live my life in fear that what i do is going to damn me for all eternity. lmao!
    i find it hilarious that the more prominent religions like to pick fights using tired, old, rehearsed words that aren't even theirs. look for some originality and there you will find a free thinker. lol
    So true mugger:)
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Some churches / sects which call themselves "Christian" might qualify under the definition of cults. But not churches which abide by the Bible.
    I see so if you ABIDE by the bible then you are exempt from being called a cult? Look there is nothing wrong with the word cult people.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 02:44 PM

I'd like a list of the religions that aren't cults, that's what I'd like. :)
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    I see so if you ABIDE by the bible then you are exempt from being called a cult? Look their is nothing wrong with the word cult people.
    Have a look at the definition given earlier. Those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Krishna a cult? [ 23 Answers ]

My family is very concerned about my nephew, he has recently joined a belief called Krishna consiousness. He thinks we are sinners and will reincarnate as animals because we eat meat. He has went to live in the temple, and now says he is going to become a munk for this belief. They have an alter...

Is this a cult? [ 12 Answers ]

My family has been very worried that my nephew is in a cult. He shaved his head except for a little tail in the back, He has insence burning all the time in his room when he's at home and not at this temple he calls it. He stays there for days at a time and has even went to New York with them and...

Murder investigation involving a cult. [ 1 Answers ]

My cousin swears we wanted to see a movie a year or two ago. A kidnapping or murder investigation leads to the discovery of a strange cult... She remembers that it was shot in Europe somewhere (France or Italy?? ), and that a major part of the plot had to do with an old man making odd hand...

Your definition of a cult. [ 66 Answers ]

What religions do you believe are cults and why

Cult [ 3 Answers ]

Can some one please tell me about cults and what is it exactly? Do they have a club? Are they good? ;) thank you Im just kidding about the club thing.

View more questions Search