Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 03:14 PM

Cult checklist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It is a cult by virture of popular beleif and social and moral values.

A cult does not have to be a religion by the terms we would think of it, it could be any social or economic or political group also that operates outside of society norms.

Many religions today were considered cults at the time they started.
    On the first look, if I see group of people in hood, praying with candles around in the dark, that's the one I'll consider cult. Any group that I think creepy.

I was born into a religion called "Church of Christ" (Iglesia ni Kristo) founded in 1914. Their teaching is based on the bible but have stricter guidelines like and different interpretation from catholic church like::::: minister is allowed to marry, during worship, men's seat is separate from women, women must dress more conservative, Like Jesus is human and the God is his father, they don't have Christmas because Christ was born in summer, they don't have communion, last supper is once a year where everyone can have wine and host, the leader chooses who's politician to vote, later they do support artificial birth control.

Members are mocked due strict guidelines and "funny" beliefs, a cult. By the end of on the century, it became one of the most respected and most influential churches in the archipelago because members are highly disciplined.

See Jesus. He was executed because he preaches.

When I turned 15, I left them and no longer attend any church.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Have a look at the definition given earlier. Those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.
    I see well here is what I think. Going to a church every Sunday to listen to the BIBLE being preached does not except you from belonging to a cult. ALL religion is a cult whether they follow the bible or not. (just my opinion)

The Merriam-Webster online dictionary lists five different definitions of the word "cult."[16]
    1. Formal religious veneration
    2. A system of religious beliefs and ritual; also: its body of adherents;
    3. A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also: its body of adherents;
    4. A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator;
    5. Great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book).
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lighterrr View Post
    I see well here is what i think. Going to a church every sunday to listen to the BIBLE being preached does not except you from belonging to a cult.
    Agreed. That is not what I said. I said that those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 06:53 PM

I'm still waiting for a list...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Hit a sore spot did I?
    Synnen wrote
    "Tell me that my points have no basis, and I'll call you an idiot."
    Name calling only degrades your points to the garbage can where the feeble minded and children go when they have no valid points to make.
    Something like you did to me in the posts that were deleted, when we originally argued about this?

I MADE my valid points. I don't see your valid rebuttals, though.
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Agreed. That is not what I said. I said that those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.
    As long as they were following the BIBLE, but not an organized religion---I would agree with you.

The second they join a church, though--they've joined a cult.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    As long as they were following the BIBLE, but not an organized religion---I would agree with you.

The second they join a church, though--they've joined a cult.
    Not if that church adheres to the Bible.
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Not if that church adheres to the Bible.
    Tom, you have a right to your opinion, it's just that others, many others, disagree with you.

By the way, reddies are only allowed for factually incorrect information. Synnens post was opinion, therefore it doesn't warrant a reddie.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Tom, you have a right to your opinion, it's just that others, many others, disagree with you.
    As do many many others disagree with you. That is what it is like in a free society, Alty.

By the way, reddies are only allowed for factually incorrect information. Synnens post was opinion, therefore it doesn't warrant a reddie.
    Exactly why I gave it. If you have an issue with it, the public board is not the place for complaints.
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:34 PM

How does the Bible make one exempt from being a cult?

A cult is, simply, a group of people that follow the same belief in an organized manner.

Frankly, the very IDEA that Christians think they are exempt from the same status as EVERY OTHER RELIGION scares the heck out of me.
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 07:39 PM

As do many many others disagree with you. That is what it is like in a free society, Alty.
    I realize that and accept that Tom.

Freedom of religion is important. I just find it amusing that many religious people don't feel that freedom not to practice religion is acceptable. Funny how that works.

But, back to the topic. I think Synn has a very valid point. The bible does not exempt a group from being a cult. As soon as a group is organized it is by very definition a cult.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
    I realize that and accept that Tom.
    I am glad to hear that.

Freedom of religion is important. I just find it amusing that many religious people don't feel that freedom not to practice religion is acceptable. Funny how that works.
    I am strong proponent of freedom of religion. I have noted some on here who feel that those who disagree with them have no right to their views, but I for one firmly believe that everyone has a right their views.

[quote]But, back to the topic. I think Synn has a very valid point. The bible does not exempt a group from being a cult. [quote]

I already stated my agreement. Many cults mis-use the Bib;e.

As soon as a group is organized it is by very definition a cult.
    That does not make any sense. If a group of 20 people meet to study the Bible - that is okay, but you declare them a cult if they formally organize. It makes no sense. Nothing changes in between.
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:03 PM

Tom, I'm not using the word cult in a negative way. I'm not saying that organized religious groups are all negative, although I have to say there are many out there that are.

A group of 20 people meeting to study the bible don't fit into the definition of a cult, but a group of 200 people meeting to learn of the bible in a organized manner such as church are considered a cult. Not a "burn all the witches" cult, but a cult nonetheless.

I think you're taking the word cult to mean something negative (which again, it can) but that's not the way I'm using it here.

There are positive definitions of the word, it's just that most people hear it and feel negatively towards it.

Honestly, I'm not arguing with you, not this time. ;)
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Tom, I'm not using the word cult in a negative way. I'm not saying that organized religious groups are all negative, although I have to say there are many out there that are.
    Negative or positive - it does not matter. Your claim is wrong. It does not align to the definition.

A group of 20 people meeting to study the bible don't fit into the definition of a cult, but a group of 200 people meeting to learn of the bible in a organized manner such as church are considered a cult.
    You seem to be forming your own definition. So it is no longer just that they are organized, but it is now numbers. So we know that your definition does not have 20 as a cult, but 200 is. So tell us, is 30 a cult? 40? 80? 150? What, according to your definition is the number at which an organized group becomes a cult? What is your basis for this claim?
    Pets Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:16 PM

You seem to be forming your own definition.
    So it is no longer just that they are organized, but it is now numbers. So we know that your definition does not have 30 as a cult, but 200 is. So tell us, is 30 a cult? 40? 80? 150? What, according to your definition is the number at which an organized group becomes a cult? What is your basis for this claim?
    Okay, obviously my post wasn't really clear. For that I apologize.

No, it's not the numbers. Your example was 20 people meeting to study the bible together.

You're right, it's not about numbers. If those same 20 people became an organized group where the bible was taught to them instead of them studying the bible independently then yes, they would be a cult, again, in my opinion and not in a negative way.

I only said 200 because it's very rare to see a church group or other organized group that consists of merely 20 people. Once again, sorry for the confusion.
    Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:18 PM

It has NOTHING to do with numbers--with the exception of the numbers 1 and 0. It takes at least 2 people to be a cult.

A cult is NOT a negative thing. It is a DEFINITION of a group of people that believe the same thing.

How can you twist that definition to say that Christianity is NOT a group of people that believe the same dogma?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:21 PM

According to the defination of a cult that I found and gave in my post number 3 there is no where that a number of people is or is not defined as a cult. I think everybody should go back and read the list. Christianity does NOT align with the list. However the Mormon, the JW do fit the bill perfectly. So again I don't see why you are spending such a large amount of time trying to persuade people that Christian churches, that is any church that teaches the whole and complete word of God as found in the Bible is or can be a cult? So lets be honest and tell us why you feel it is necessary to convince people that not going to church is the only true and correct way to seek God?
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Those who do adhere to the Bible would not comply with the definition for a cult.
    "Adhere" in this sentence means what, exactly?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:22 PM
    No, it's not the numbers. Your example was 20 people meeting to study the bible together.
    I said 20 people meeting who subsequently become formally organized.

You're right, it's not about numbers. If those same 20 people became an organized group where the bible was taught to them instead of them studying the bible independently then yes, they would be a cult, again, in my opinion and not in a negative way.
    That is what I said last time. But now you add a new twist. Now you are saying that the key factors are:

- That they are organized
    - That the Bible is taught to them.

So by that definition, you consider all schools to be cults - right?

Where are you getting your definition from?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy View Post
    "Adhere" in this sentence means what, exactly?
    Abide by the essential teachings of the Bible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Krishna a cult? [ 23 Answers ]

My family is very concerned about my nephew, he has recently joined a belief called Krishna consiousness. He thinks we are sinners and will reincarnate as animals because we eat meat. He has went to live in the temple, and now says he is going to become a munk for this belief. They have an alter...

Is this a cult? [ 12 Answers ]

My family has been very worried that my nephew is in a cult. He shaved his head except for a little tail in the back, He has insence burning all the time in his room when he's at home and not at this temple he calls it. He stays there for days at a time and has even went to New York with them and...

Murder investigation involving a cult. [ 1 Answers ]

My cousin swears we wanted to see a movie a year or two ago. A kidnapping or murder investigation leads to the discovery of a strange cult... She remembers that it was shot in Europe somewhere (France or Italy?? ), and that a major part of the plot had to do with an old man making odd hand...

Your definition of a cult. [ 66 Answers ]

What religions do you believe are cults and why

Cult [ 3 Answers ]

Can some one please tell me about cults and what is it exactly? Do they have a club? Are they good? ;) thank you Im just kidding about the club thing.

View more questions Search