Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gasping Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Soup base from scraps & bones
    When retrieving the last of the goodies from meat dishes, the skeletal bones are cooked (stewed) in water w/ seasonings. Most recipes have all sorts of vegetables included. But what if the desire is a beef, lamb, pork, or chicken base to be stored and used at a later time. Regardless, the "stock" resulting is usually "skimmed" of excess fats or grease.

What additions are initially appropriate (seasonings &/or vegetables) before the stewing and skimming that such ingredients will not be congealed and removed w/ the fat?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 08:19 AM

We used to throw in Egg shells to help clarify the stock, then filter later.
    Don't know how much goes out with the fat?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:38 PM

Carrots, onions, celery (Base of all stocks) either ends and scraps or just rough cut and added to stock (skins and all)

Tomato scraps or ends or just chopped up tomato is added for beef stocks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gold base and blue base hair color [ 2 Answers ]

I have many times colored my hair in years past. I always used miss clairols blondest beige and it always turned out fine. About 4 years ago I grew it all out my natural color. Light light brown (dishwater blonde) Anyway.. last night.. I decided to color my hair I bought lightest golden blonde...

About the oil in the soup [ 6 Answers ]

Hi~ Some soup is cooked with oil in it, which might make it more delicious. I am wondering the cook first puts water in the pot, and then put oil in the water, or adversely.

Dry laid Flagstone: sub-base only, or sub-base and base? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Northern VA and am installing dry laid 1.5" natural cleft flagstone on 4" of bluestone sub-base. I'd like this 500 sq ft. patio to last 20 years or more. My question: Is it overkill to add 2" of stonedust as a base on top of the bluestone sub-base, or is this unnecessary? If my...

Garbage disposal won't drain all the scraps [ 1 Answers ]

After using my disposal I seem to have a problem with the "crud " being trapped in the trap is it my dispoal ?

How to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is sweet honey bee... I would like to know how to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle. Thanks..

View more questions Search