Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sasmikit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 12:10 AM
    Old teaching methods
    Back in the late 70's early 80's a grouping method was used teach reading based on the students educational level. I remember the colors of the books, i.e. Red with blue center, Purple with center, Yellow with blue center on the front cover of the hard back books. Also the books were a part of a reading center that included workbooks and flascards, does anyone remember the name of these books by chance? :o
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 02:53 AM

I don't remember a teaching method like that from the Board of Education in Toronto back then. But then you are not saying where you are, were living at the time; what part of A country are your from ?

Tick
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 03:07 AM

Was it the phonix method . (sp?)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 03:13 AM

I was thinking maybe SRA but that may have been farther back... :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 08:17 AM

There were and still are many publishers who used colors and numbers to help indentify reading levels. Ginn, Holt and Scott Foresman were very common. I can't tell from your description which ones you may have encountered. Why do you ask? If you go back far enough you may find D I C K and Jane and their dog Spot. I apologze for the spacing in the guys name, appararently that particular name is not allowed for some reason.

Apr 8, 2009, 09:43 AM

My apologies Tickle, I'm a born and rise native of New Orleans, La.

Ballengerb1 thank you, I'll start with those publishers.

Apr 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
    DoulaLC, lol yeah we were still using SRA at that time and thank you for reminding me that may come in very handy if I can find them.

The thing is I have a son how hates reading because a very mean teacher told him that he was a green eyed monster and will never be able to read. Ssssoooooo needless to say, his self estem is shot. Granted he can read there are some brakes in his learning. He is ADHD but it's been a battle for years and now I'm really taking things into my own hands full time. I just remebered that those books were a way for the teacher to get across to everyone in the class was assigned to their reading level and it worked.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sasmikit View Post
    DoulaLC, lol yeah we were still using SRA at that time and thank you for reminding me that may come in very handy if i can find them.

The thing is I have a son how hates reading because a very mean teacher told him that he was a green eyed monster and will never be able to read. ssssoooooo needless to say, his self estem is shot. Granted he can read there are some brakes in his learning. He is ADHD but it's been a battle for years and now I'm really taking things into my own hands full time. I just remebered that those books were a way for the teacher to get across to everyone in the class was assigned to their reading level and it worked.
    Let him read comic books and graphic novels that are age appropriate. Have him write his own book and draw pictures for it (after you cut printer paper into wide strips and staple in the middle at the "spine"). Have him be your scribe for grocery and other shopping lists. Keep a running list on erasable boards with him in charge. Read to him in short spurts if he has trouble sitting still. Do storytelling with each other--make up stories together. Read street and road and store signs when driving, traveling. Challenge him to look for letters of the alphabet in order, one per sign.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sasmikit View Post
    My apologies Tickle, I'm a born and rise native of New Orleans, La.

Ballengerb1 thank you, I'll start with those publishers.
    Ahhh, was an Algiers girl myself for a time... are you old enough to remember "Hubba Hubba"?. hope I got that right, was quite sometime ago... :D
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
    The type of reading program you describe relies heavily on the phonics approach. The books were called basils and today they are often called anthologies. Many people who favor a whole language approach do not like these books. I for one love them as long as they are coupled with really good chapter books.

With that being said, the basils work well in a classroom setting, I don't think I would use them at home. Since they are designed for a classroom setting, the books have vocabulary and other lessons spread throughout them. This may turn off your child because he feels like he's still in the classroom.

Wondergirl has a good point with the comic books and the scribing. I would add to that by saying that magazines like "Highlights" can be very useful. They are filled with short stories, nonfiction, and poems on a variety of topics. If I knew how old your son is and what his approximate reading level is, I could be more specific in my magazine recommendations.

The toughest thing to figure out is what interests your son. Knowing that, you might be able to find a series of books that peak your son's interest. Once he finds a book that interests him, you will start to see a big difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arc welding methods [ 2 Answers ]

I see electric welds with names that leave me wondering if I'm missing out on something I should have in my shop. What do the terms "flux", "mig" etc mean and what are the features of them? Thanks! Lonnie

Depreciation Methods [ 1 Answers ]

A company purchases a freezer which costs 135,650.00. Should the machine be depreciated under the MARCS at 10 years life and would I depreciate under the 150% or the straight-line? I am having some difficulty understanding what the best method of depreciation would be and why. Is the Straight-Line...

Methods [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone please help me to find the following: drawing tests and those ones on determination of the meaning of life and death to conduct the research into psychology of gender in family man and woman, as well as self-appraisal measures (Budassi?), semantic differences method (Individual...

View more questions Search