Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcthorntonky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
    Garnishment of soc sec or pension in Florida ?
    Can social security or corporate pensions be garnished if the individual is a Florida resident ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 03:00 AM

The amounts of both can be taken out of a bank account if they are direct deposited. When they are deposited they are in your bank account the same as anything else. If you don't want them taken, cancel your direct deposit of both and have them sent to you through the mail.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 04:04 AM

SS cannot be seized or liened UNLESS it is co-mingled with other funds. It's a specific exclusion under the law EXCEPT for child support and certain college loans. If it IS seized you can get it returned to you but it is a lengthy process.

Obviously if SS is the only money in your bank account, it is safe, although you very well may have to make the argument that that is all that is in the account.

Pension payments can be seized. They are not protected.

Does someone have a Judgment against you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia-- pension garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

My mother (94) Georgia resident/retired NY State teacher received her first mailed debt recovery claim regarding credit card debts over 3 yrs ago--incurred due to a terminal family illness--her only income and assets involve the monthly deposits of her pension and SS benefits (approx. 3k/mth) into...

Can pension be garnished in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

We live in Florida and my wife's wages have been garnished for a few weeks for a car repossession. My wife has quit her job and the pension funds will be released to her within two weeks. Is there a chance those funds will be garnished as well?

Florida garnishment law [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the Florida law on garnishment of wages ?

View more questions Search