Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadhasvitiligo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Benoquin or Monobenzone dad has vititiligo
    Please Help! I'm so glad I found this forum!

My father is depressed... I'm thinking severely depressed. He is a dark-skinned man with vitiligo all over his body, but he's obviously more concerned about his face. He is already in his 70s but his face is about 75% depigmented due to Vitiligo and this has been happening for almost 15 years of his life, maybe longer. He wants to lighten the rest of his face. I'm in BC Canada, and we can not find benoquin anywhere. I found a website monobenzone.net and I've read on here not to trust this website, but I don't know where else to turn to. I'm worried that my father wants to... you know... I don't even want to say it... he's just so depressed. He's willing to do anything and try anything. But comments he has made to me has made me worried about how he's feeling. I've researched those Glutathione injections, which was one of the last things I was trying to find out for him. After contacting many "clinics" that do these injections in a different country, they even said no, it will not work for him (except for one that said he should try it). I've researched lasers, creams, pills, herbal stuff. I just don't know who to believe and what to believe.

Does anyone know where benoquin is not banned? He wants me to look in all countries to find it. He wants to fly there just to get it and he doesn't have that kind of money so I told him I'd check out online pharmacies, but I've done that all day and no one so far has any. I've tried searching for benoquin / monobenzone. I'm at a lost. And I'm basically desperate for the public's advice. I'm a member of the National Vitiligo Foundation and also Vitiligo Support International. I've found some pharmacies in the states on the VSI website that says it carries monobenzone, but how does my father get a prescription in the states when he's canadian? I've been researching vitiligo for years now but just realized that hydroquinone is different than monobenzone but monobenzone is the same as benoquin. I hope that's correct. He has used hydroquinone with no results. I'm looking for at least 20% benoquin because that's what I've read is the percentage to depigment.

Any help please! I'm a desperate daughter trying to help my dad... my anxiety is up and I can't stop worrying. Any info on:

What cities in Canada might still carry monobenzone? (or is it banned all of canada?)
    What states can sell it? If so, do I need a prescription? If so, how can I get a prescription? Can he pay for a visit in the USA and see a doctor and get one? Can I buy this online?
    Can I trust monobenzone.net?

kojojo Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 03:47 AM
    I live in Canada , and I have a lot of monobenzone email me
    [email protected]
    chandani Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 07:16 PM

Don't trust no kojojo

If your dad has vitiligo.. then he can go to this doctor and get a prescription.. its easy.. with a prescription you can get the cream from a pharmacy
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:37 PM

dadhasvitiligo chandani is right your dad can get a valid script

Apr 8, 2009, 10:48 PM
    By the way I bought it for my cousin, I would never give any one something that might not be good, what I meant is if you are in Toronto, you dad can get a prescription and then take the mono to a compounding pharmacy to make sure of it's authenticity and the percentage required with the dermatologist's supervision.
    Mono is very expensive for long term use to complete the treatment if you get a prescription still you might not get it or very very expensive

Apr 9, 2009, 06:34 PM
    My father has seen many dermatologists and even has gone to the Vitiligo Clinic at Vancouver General Hospital (which only deals with curing it - repigmenting). His doctor's will not prescribe him 20% Benoquin, they claim the most he can get is 2-3% in Canada. I've called some pharmacies to see if that's correct and they said that they don't even carry it! I'm not sure if I'm saying it right to them but they don't have it. So I'm not sure what else to do but to turn to the internet. After reading many of the posts on this forum and doing research, I'm convinced that the 20% is what he needs. He's very dark-skinned but his "white" parts is actually close to my own skin tone, so that's why he's decided that instead of getting colour, he wants to get depigment. That and he's almost 80% depigmented. It's just the outlines of his face (near the hair, ear, chin). The middle of his face is completely depigmented.

kojojo, I was looking into buying the chemicals but most of the suppliers seem to be from China. Even if it came from China, I would rather buy within Canada and USA for shipping and exchange and all that. Unless anyone knows reputable sellers from China, please let me know. It's hard to research a company when I can't read their website. I'm willing to purchase the chemicals/minerals (not sure what it is) and take it to a pharmacist to mix. I've read lots of good experiences with that.

I know that this stuff will be expensive... I have saved up a bit of money to get this for him. I think psychologically, just having a tube of it, would make him feel better. He always gets his hopes up and when he's disappointed I get worried about him. He was very much into the quick fix thing a couple of years ago. Lasers, skin peels. The worst was last year I found out through my mom he put acid on his face. That's when I started freaking out. I mean... acid? I told him that acid would leave scarring that would make him feel worse than he already does. But like I said. That's how desperate he's getting. I don't want it to get any worse than acid.

Apr 9, 2009, 06:44 PM
    So is benoquin banned in Canada? You are saying that my dad can just get a prescription of 20% from his doctor. But I've been hearing that it's banned... so even if he had a prescription, where would he fill it?

Also, I should add, any information I pass on to you about doctor visits and "he can't get this or that" is all hear-say. My dad tends to keep things from me or bend the truth so I'm only going from what he tells me. He says the doctor can only give a 2% strength but now I'm thinking how can he get 2% if it's banned? Or is it that 20% is banned? ARGH... this is so hard to understand!

Can you tell me if Benoquin is banned in Canada?
    Also, can you tell me if not... what pharmacy carries it? I'll be in Toronto in October so even if the pharmacy is over there, I'll bring my dad's prescription (if he can get 20%). Ah I don't even know if I can fill other people's prescriptions.
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 12:42 AM

I live in toronto and I am not sure of any oharmacy that carries it, but you can buy monobenzone powder and mix it yourself but its very expensive and you might not get the pure powder that is best suited for cosmetic usage

As far as I know the company icn that made benoqin is no longer making it, your best bet is to get the powder and do it yourself or order from one of the companies online that sell mono

Apr 10, 2009, 04:05 AM
    I have seen a lot of people in Toronto with vitiligo, given that Canada health care is good you would think all these people would be treated by removing th color if the vitiligo more than 50% but I guess not, still kind of taboo even though it is pschycologically devastating, they look at it I guess like this person wants to be white and they ignore the pschycological aspect of it, I saw a reporter with vitiligo on larry king , larry king told him are you happy that you are turning white? (kinda said that)
    I talked to a compounding pharmacy , they said if have cream in high percentage and got a prescription from your doctor to make the right percetage they would do it, so basically the compounding it has to be prescribed, may be there is some legal issue about it, lighter you are a nurse in Toronto why don't ask what is the deal that so many people have more than 50% vitiligo and can not do depigmentation?
    If you find a compationate doctor,even a family doctor to just write a prescription for the compounding pharmacy your dad will achieve the results he wants
    Benquin is just a brand , monobenzone is the active ingredient
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kojojo View Post
    I have seen a lot of people in Toronto with vitiligo, given that Canada health care is good you would think all these people would be treated by removing th color if the vitiligo more than 50% but I guess not, still kinda taboo even tho it is pschycologically devestating, they look at it I guess like this person wants to be white and they ignore the pschycological aspect of it, I saw a reporter with vitiligo on larry king , larry king told him are you happy that you are turning white? (kinda said that)
    I talked to a compounding pharmacy , they said if have cream in high percentage and got a prescription from your doctor to make the right percetage they would do it, so basically the compounding it has to be prescribed, may be there is some legal issue about it, lighter you are a nurse in Toronto why don't ask what is the deal that so many people have more than 50% vitiligo and can not do depigmentation?
    if you find a compationate doctor,even a family doctor to just write a prescription for the compounding pharmacy your dad wil achieve the results he wants
    benquin is just a brand , monobenzone is the active ingredient
    The thing with our healthcare system in canada is that it has many flaws, after 4 + years of nursing I believe the system is doomed to fail, but that's a entirely different issue. I know a lady that has viitiligo and she is being treated by a derm and the doc insist that repigment treatment is the way to go. The lady wants to depig but there are few options for that in canada and the reason why is that derms make more money trying to help patients repig than depig.

What you should do is to get your gp to write a perscription for the benoquin 20& and I know a pharmacy in the us that compounds it for their clients. I can pm you with the info, but I am not sure if they ship to canada though

Apr 13, 2009, 03:16 AM

Is benoquin legal in canada then? I don't want something shipped to my place that's illegal. However my dad doesn't mind... but I just don't want to do it.

So tell me is benoquin legal in canada? Or parts of canada? Thanks.
    applebeee Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadhasvitiligo View Post
    is benoquin legal in canada then? i don't want something shipped to my place that's illegal. however my dad doesn't mind...but i just don't want to do it.

so tell me is benoquin legal in canada? or parts of canada? thanks.
    I don't know but I'm still trying to find the real mono so, I just got my order of mono cream from India. I tried it on my feet and hands for the first time last night and this morning. I'm planning to apply it on my hands and feet x2 a day The cream is thick and tanish color.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadhasvitiligo View Post
    is benoquin legal in canada then? i don't want something shipped to my place that's illegal. however my dad doesn't mind...but i just don't want to do it.

so tell me is benoquin legal in canada? or parts of canada? thanks.
    It is to the best of my knowledge
    vitiligo girl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 03:10 AM

Hi dad has vitiligo.
    I also have vitiligo for 5 yrs now,I'm 24.. my white spots are not wide spread but its mostly confine in my face,left ear and neck, that's why it bothers me. I'm considering depigmenting my skin too using benoquin. I believe that benoquin is considered as a controlled drug and not illegal. They would dispense this medication at your local pharmacy if you have a prescription. They would definitely give you that cream if you have vitiligo because that cream is mainly for them.
    Goodluck. I hope your father would feel better when he start depigmenting his skin. And please keep us updated.

May 21, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Update: so after talking with my dad it seems that the doctors and dermatologists he has gone to don't want to give him a 20% Benoquin prescription. So I decided to find one that would. I talked to one dermatologist who said that in the 20 years he has been a doctor, he has only prescribed it once. I'm starting to think that they are not used to the severity of vitiligo that my father has, and so they are reluctant to prescribe him such a high dosage.

My aunt bought him the 30% RADIANCE CREAM by Herbal Inn. I read that when people first use a cream it will cause light splotches (is that a word?)... little white bits around the dark areas. So I checked out his face and sure enough I see a bit of splotching on one side of his face. But I can't really tell if that was there before he started using it or after because I usually always see him with makeup on and I can't remember.

He's optimistic (YAY!) but I told him to use it sparingly and not to put too much on at once. He would because he would think it would work faster. I heard that putting too much on of any type of these creams could actually activate the melanin to start producing again (in splotches) if you over use it... not sure where I read that.

He also found another type of cream that is either a hydroquinone or benoquin that was sold over the counter at an ethnic store. I told him "Don't you even THINK about mixing them together!!! Use one or use the other, do not use both!" because he would! So far I think he's sticking with the Radiance cream first.

I'll give an update on how the splotchiness is going and if that cream is working.
    I'm going to also get him an appointment with the dermatologist I found that has at least prescribed it once! So I'm hopeful he won't let my father down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monobenzone / benoquin experience [ 35 Answers ]

:) Is there anyone close to depigmentation? If so haow many shades did you lightn in what specific amount of time? And how long did you use monobenzone / benoquin. Did you acculate white spots and if so what size were they? And how long did you have these white spots? As I'm a user to and I...

What the different between Benoquin and monobenzone? [ 12 Answers ]

And what more better for black skin to become white Benoquin or monobenzone? Tell me please about the risks of both of these products?

Benoquin, monobenzone [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am in Eastern Europe. Anyone who knows where one can buy raw monobenzone in fine powder form or at least the cream without a prescription?? Want to dipigment.

Using monobenzone/Benoquin [ 15 Answers ]

I used M/B 20% for less than one week. I definitely achieved lightening. I getting M/B 40%. Can anyone whose been using it share their story any good insight. Thanks:)

View more questions Search