Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawntractorkid Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Craftsman burning belts
    OK I have a craftsman don't know what year but it's older anyway it smokes belts like crazy and they are NASCAR grade belts would it make a difference if I used lawnmower belts?

Apr 7, 2009, 07:24 PM

It does have a 14hp twin
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 08:55 PM

You have a chraftsman what? Table saw? Log splitter? Weed wacker?

Yes, you have to use the right bet especially if a friction clutch is involved in anyway. Usually they are green.
    If you have a friction clutch or kerfs in the belt, your in trouble.

Use OEM belts from Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com or get the Dayco p/n from Dayco - MarkIV - Automotive Worldwide Website (The site is hard to navigate, but does lists belts by lawn and garden model #) and go to your favorite NAPA autoparts store.

Apr 7, 2009, 09:10 PM

Riding mower and it does have a friction clutch
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:15 PM

Yep. I found out the hard way too. I got a belt that was close for a rotor-tiller and it grabbed and basically put out smoke signals. Got the right belt and no problems.

Post the model number.

Apr 7, 2009, 10:27 PM

OK give the model number tomorrow
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 08:51 AM

If it's a Sears the model number is under the seat. Current models also list belts, blades, etc... on a decal under the hood.

Apr 8, 2009, 08:55 AM

I can't find any tags anywhere...

Apr 8, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Never mind I found it it's 917.255812 how do I tell want year it is too?
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:37 AM

The belts are here:

Model #917255812 | SearsPartsDirect.com

It's possible that there was a typo on Dayco's website and these DAYCO belt MIGHT fit.

.2558 = .2550?

L333 GEN.
    1971 - 1971
    L579 TRANS.
    1971 - 1971

dayco numbers L333 and L579; Go to NAPA

Apr 8, 2009, 10:16 AM

What I had on it before was a Goodyear gatorback belt and it was the perfect leingth but they just keep burning up so my question is would it really make a difference if I got a "mower" belt or not because searse doesn't sell this size belt

Apr 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
    This tractor also has a two speed trans.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:28 AM

It has kerfs on the inside. It definitely will not work. It will grab and the friction clutch is about worthless.

The searspartsdirect link should show a parts breakdown and have part numbers for this belt. It shoud be orderable from the website. Do a midel number search at Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com and look for the belt. I think my link brought you directly to it. I just searched for "belt' after I got to model number.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 10:31 AM
    Think about the application. The belt really has to have little friction most of the time unless extended. Extension moves it into the groove, so the pully will grab.

If it can flex (the ribs) and has excellent power transmission (ribs+ lots of friction), it's going to grab. Grabbing sends out smoke signals.

Apr 8, 2009, 10:51 AM

Ok I'll try to find it.. Would local mower shops have it you think?
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:08 AM

If you order it online, you get parts within a few days. They ship really quick.

I know that Lowe's has a belt selector. Getting the OEM belt number is the hard part. Try you local lawn mower shop.

I have one nearby, that is helpful in their own way, but I have another about 45 minutes away that I will use for mTD parts. They dropped shipped, supposedly obsolete, wheels to me from an aftermarket manufacturer.

Apr 8, 2009, 11:43 AM

Ok where would I get a gas tank for a 01 craftsman mower?
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 12:28 PM

If you can't find a real model number because I suspect that 01 isn't. Then work backwards. Find the engine. Is it Tecumseh or Briggs or something else.

Tecumseh's plates you generally can't miss. Tecumseh small engines also closed shop in Dec 08.

The Briggs info is STAMPED on the blower housing. Usually vERY DIFFICCULT TO SEE. There is a model and type #. Go to Briggsandstratton.com and breakdown manuals are available for free.

I actually bought a new tank for a tecumseh motor for a snowblower, but my mounting didn't work out. I need to do some modifications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman LT2000 Belts [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change belt on this tractor? The belt that needs changing is the one that allows the tractor to cut - not the driving belt.

Craftsman DLT 2000 Lawm Mower (Belts) [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 2000 DLT Lawn Mower with a 48" deck. What is the length of the belt that goes from the pulley on the motor to the deck?

Craftsman Belts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lawn tractor, model #917.272681. I had to change the mower blade drive belt and it seems really loose. Is there a way to tighten it?

View more questions Search