Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PiotrZarzycki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes?
    Hello,
    I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since.
    Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien?
    Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and has been on J2 visa?
    And how about state taxes in California?

Will be very grateful for quick response
    Thank you in advance
    Piotrek
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 08:42 AM

On J1 your income is exempt from federal income tax up to Sept 14, 2008.

If you file joint return as residents, then you will not get treaty deduction. You can file joint return as residents after you meet SPT in 2009. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

You must pay CA taxes. If you live in CA, you are resident of CA from the day you enter the U.S. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    PiotrZarzycki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 02:12 PM
    [QUOTE=MukatA;1653482]On J1 your income is exempt from federal income tax up to Sept 14, 2008.

If you file joint return as residents, then you will not get treaty deduction. You can file joint return as residents after you meet SPT in 2009. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

You must pay CA taxes. If you live in CA, you are resident of CA from the day you enter the U.S. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states[/QUOTE

Thank you very much for your response.
    Only one thing:
    1) If I meet SPT test in 2009, can I file form 1040 for 2008 as resident alien with standard deduction? Where should I show non- taxable income (befor 14 September)? ]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status or resident alien? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm preparing myself for next years tax return. My husband and I are non-resident aliens until May 2009, after that resident aliens. That would mean, we would have to file separate dual-status returns. However, if we want to claim our children as dependents, we need to have a joint return....

Am I a resident alien or dual status alien? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I would like to know what category I would fall under for tax purposes. I was on F1 OPT until Jan 10th 2008 H1B from Jan 11- October 30 I left the country after that and I am presently in India.

F1 student on OPT with Resident Alien Status for Tax Purposes [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts, I am F-1 student from India on my OPT now. I have been in the US since August 2003. So, my status has changed to Resident Alien for Tax purposes on January 1st 2008. I have some questions. If you could kindly answer them, it will be of great help to me. 1. I did an...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search