Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

May 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with this, but there was a column in Newsday this Saturday that bears on this. In the column a Rabbi who writes for Newsday was discussing quotations that a reader had made to prove a point from an earlier column. In that column he made a statement that grabbed my attention:

"One of the most important things to understand when quoting the Bible (the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament) is that it was not written in English. This means you're not only reading a translation from Hebrew or Greek, but you're also often reading an interpretation masquerading as a translation." God squad: The biblical roots of hell and the devil -- Newsday.com

He went on to reference some quotations as examples. One specific example he referred to which is often used to justify Jesus Christ as the Messiah was the Greek translation of Isaiah 7:14; "and behold a virgin shall give birth". But, according to Gellman, the original Hebrew uses the word alma, which means young woman, instead of betula, which means virgin.

I really thought this was an important point for those people who quote the King James (or other english transalation) of the Bible to keep in mind.

This point is absolutely true.

There are a number of similar mistranslations within the various English translations of the NT.

Another example of this is the use of the word "pierced" in Psalms 22:16, which is seen as a reference to Jesus' hands and feet being pierced on the cross. The translation used in most English Bibles is "For dogs have surrounded me, the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me; they pierce my hands and feet." But this is incorrect.

The word used in that verse is "ka'ari", which means "lion", not "pierced". The CORRECT translation of the verse is "For dogs have surrounded me, the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me; like a lion who has my hands and feet." There is, in fact, no Hebrew word for "pierce".

There are many similar mistranslations of the OT. Some were accidental, some were specifically designed. But they are mistranslations nonetheless.

Great citation, Scott

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birth of Jesus Christ [ 11 Answers ]

When was Jesus Christ born ?

The body and blood of Jesus Christ. [ 81 Answers ]

The Lord Jesus Christ, God the Son, said (From the NKJV) Matthew 26: 26. And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed it and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body.'' 27. Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink...

Jesus Christ Superstar [ 4 Answers ]

I've just seen the 1973 film adaptation of Jesus Christ Superstar, and was wondering how similar to the original Broadway production it is. For example, was the original set in the first century AD, or in modern times like the film? Thanks Captain O

The return of Jesus Christ [ 131 Answers ]

What are your thoughts about the return of Jesus Christ? Do you think it will be before, during, or after the Great Tribulation? Do you believe it will happen, or not?

About Jesus Christ [ 8 Answers ]

In which ways is and or was worshipped and what was the impact the death had on his respective religion?

View more questions Search