Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squeakydryer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Refrigerator Ice Maker freezing up
    I have a 5 year old GE refrigerator with an ice maker in the door. It has begun to freeze up with ice in the area where the ice comes out. I have looked and looked to what might be the problem. I did figure out that the little black flap in the door is slightly open about 1/4 - 1/2 inch (doesn't seal) and I'm wondering if the warm air from outside is causing some type of freezing action. I took the ice holder out to see if that would make a difference and it doesn't. I then took a wooden spoon and shoved it from the outside to hold the flap closed... so far, 2 days it seems to have taken car of the problem, which leads me to believe my theory is correct. Does anyone have any input. If I'm right how do I fix that flap?? Can I do it myself or is better to call in a professional? Thanks
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Apr 7, 2009, 06:51 PM

The ice door is the problem it should be solenoid opened and spring closed. Either the spring is broken or the solenoid is rusted. This is a common problem with certain GE side-by-sides..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite side by side refrigerator ice maker not working. [ 1 Answers ]

Fridge works well, Water dispenser works fine but is not as cool. I tried the accelerice setting, no help. I tried manually filling the automatic ice tray dispenser with water in the hopes that something would jump start, nothing. And yes the switch IS on. I have the manual but it does not give...

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

Kenmore Ice maker not freezing water [ 1 Answers ]

This is an over-under Kenmore fridge. The ice maker will fill with water but will dispense the contents before its completely frozen. Instead of ice cubes in the tray, we get a frozen 'pond'. Can this be fixed with a new module?

Maytag Ice Maker freezing solid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Model #mtb2156de* The icemaker has started not popping out the second set of ice. What happens is it will fill and freeze and pop out the ice 1 time. Then it will refill but freezes solid and will not pop out the ice. I have no idea of...

Kenmore Elite refrigerator freezing food [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a new house with appliances that are only two years old. Our Kenmore Elite Refrigerator has been working fine for three months until we went away for three days this weekend. We came home to frozen food and drinks. It seems that I cannot decrease the temperature by pressing the...

View more questions Search