Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hinsdale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Humming noise in water pipes
    Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in?
    Thanks!
    Hinsdale
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hinsdale
    Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in?
    Thanks!!
    Hinsdale
    While this problem can be annoying it's not a major catastrophe.
    Smells and strange noises are the hardest to track down if your not there to do it yourself. All we can do is point you to the most likely spots.
    Humming= vibration. Vibration= movement. Movement= water running somewhare.
    Do you have a PRV (pressure regulater valve) installed? Can you feel the pipe vibrate when you tough it? If so can you track it to the source by feel?
    Any plumbing work done lately? Check all the toilet tanks to see if the water level's 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the ballcock's shut off ? Let me know. Regards, Tom
    romeoville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
    I had a similar problem.Whenever I flushed a toilet (basement,1st floor or 2nd floor)or turned off a faucet, I would hear a humming noise.I shut off the main water supply.I have 2 levers,one before the water meter one after the water meter.I then opened a couple of faucets until the water was drained.I then closed the faucets and opened the main water supply.I went around the house opening faucets(it will sputter at first because there is air in the lines,kind of like when you use a garden hose)then closing them after I got steady water flow.Finally I tested the humming sound by flushing a toilet and listening for the humming sound... all gone! Hopefully this is a permanent fix.I actually did this today(9-27-06).
    Good luck.
    [email protected]
    babuajay Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by romeoville
    I had a similar problem.Whenever i flushed a toilet (basement,1st floor or 2nd floor)or turned off a faucet, I would hear a humming noise.I shut off the main water supply.I have 2 levers,one before the water meter one after the water meter.I then opened a couple of faucets until the water was drained.I then closed the faucets and opened the main water supply.I went around the house opening faucets(it will sputter at first because there is air in the lines,kind of like when you use a garden hose)then closing them after i got steady water flow.Finally I tested the humming sound by flushing a toilet and listening for the humming sound........all gone!!Hopefully this is a permanent fix.I actually did this today(9-27-06).
    good luck.
    [email protected]
    I have same issue, Did your problem go away?
    AdamVWade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Comment on romeoville's post
    I run a short stay hostel in central london (England) I had a problem with the disabled toilet, whenever it was flushed there was a really loud vibrating/humming noise which was quite loud. After inspecting the sistern I noticed the water was...
    AdamVWade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 04:57 PM
    I'm new to this so please excuse my messages above. Adam
    inrohit28 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    While this problem can be annoying it's not a major catastrophe.
    Smells and strange noises are the hardest to track down if your not there to do it yourself. All we can do is point you to the most likely spots.
    Humming= vibration. Vibration= movement. Movement= water running somewhare.
    Do you have a PRV (pressure regulater valve) installed? Can you feel the pipe vibrate when you tough it? If so can you track it to the source by feel?
    Any plumbing work done lately? Check all the toilet tanks to see if the water level's 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the ballcock's shut off ? Let me know. Regards, Tom
    I have same problem. I had pressure of 150PSI. I figured PRV is gone. I recently changed my PRV at the front inlet. Water pressure is 60 PSI. but, I am now getting humming noise when I turn on any faucet in the house. What is wrong?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, over the last couple of days there was like a roaring noise that would go off at different times in the house. I narrowed it down to the water pipes. Under the bathroom sink, if you put your hand on the cold water, you can feel the vibration, but not on the hot. While the noise is...

Noise from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if there is anything I can do about this, I have just moved into a new flat and have found that there is a constant "rushing noise" coming from the pipes. This is 24/7 and only quietens after I quickly turn a tap on and off (but does come back after a few seconds). It seems to emminate...

Pipes Making Noise [ 30 Answers ]

I have read some other posts on this forum and have some ideas. However, I will try to be more specific. About every 5-10 minutes there is a clunking noise under our house. Our house was built in 1991 (I think), is a large rambler (3400sqft), and I have total access underneath it. This noise,...

Decreased water pressure & noise in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

We have noticed in our kitchen sink (our home is a three family and we live on the second level) that the water pressure has decreased from the faucet although the pressure in the sprayer is OK. What could be causing this given that the water pressure in the bathroom is fine? We've also noticed...

Gurgling Noise In Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard a noise for the past month in my water lines, in the wall where the main water shut-off is located. However, it is not constant. It is a humming/gurgling noise in my lines. Im thinking that it originates from my main water shutoff point, because when you put your hand on the valve, you...

View more questions Search