Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colagirl62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 09:34 AM
    How are newer religions different from older ones?
    I need the answer to my question?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2009, 12:42 PM

Hi, colagirl62!

That would depend on what specifically you mean by "newer religions". So, more information is needed in order to address your question the best.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 02:09 PM

They do a lot less human sacrifice these days.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 03:28 PM

The newer ones are more interested in spirituality whereas the old religions stress formulas of man trying to reach God. Do's and don'ts they believe will get you into heaven.
    When you realize the meaning of Romans where it talks about being set free then you will understand the difference in your soul and spirit.
    Unfortunately the newer religions have been focusing on teachings such as self help, prosperity and worldly things rather than the spiritual. And the New Age borders on some cult/occult things.
    kiragira Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2009, 08:57 PM

A lot of "New Age" religion is based on what was basically snuffed out during the Middle Ages. "Witchcraft" and the like was basically eradicated because of death threats and other persecution, but has recently been revived.

If we're talking ancient religions, it's notable that in ancient societies female deities were more common than male deities. The idea of a male god is extremely new. In ancient times, woman deities were more common because of their menstrual cycles' connection with the lunar cycle, their ability to birth, and their ability to nourish.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Newer than what?
    Quote Originally Posted by colagirl62 View Post
    I need the answer to my question?
    What do you consider a new religion?

Christianity was new 2000 years ago, Islam was new 1400 years ago, Bahai was new 150 years ago as was Mormomism and evolutionism, communism was new 100 years ago and today we believe in climate change with religious fervour.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 4, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Evolutionism and Communism are not religions they are theories based on empirical evidence.

Evolution is empirical science while communism is empirical philosophy.

Climate change is not a religion even through we might say it is like a religion. We cannot prove anything by analogy.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Evolutionism and Communism are not religions they are theories based on empirical evidence.

Evolution is empirical science while communism is empirical philosophy.

Climate change is not a religion even through we might say it is like a religion. We cannot prove anything by analogy.
    I see you have no sense of humour. Religion is a set of closely held beliefs about the way the universe is ordered
    "A religion is a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to ultimate truth"
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 25, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I see you have no sense of humour. Religion is a set of closely held beliefs about the way the universe is ordered
    "A religion is a system of human thought which usually includes a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to ultimate truth"
    Point taken, I will attempt not to take myself too seriously in the future.
    bluefox Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
    This is an old question, but I'll chime in. By "newer religions" I would think "monothestic", and by "older religions" I would think "eastern" many of which are pagan and often incorporate concepts like reincarnation, karma, and enlightenment. The oldest religion still practiced as a major world religion is Hinduism, sometimes called Brahmanism, which you could take as the quintessential "old religion." Strangely enough, many of these older religions are in many ways more advanced, often teaching pacifism, accountability for one's actions (karma), and self realization, concepts which run contrary to contemporary world religions. The Western world didn't catch up with these "advanced" concepts until the late 20th century.
    MisplacedAngel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2013, 09:03 PM
    You are sadly mistaken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do most, if not all, religions think they are right? [ 27 Answers ]

Believe in Jesus and you will be saved... what about all the people with the other beliefs? They can't go to Heaven? What if there were cultures in this world that never got the message about Jesus or Mohammed, etc. Why do most people in these faiths want to try and convince you that they are...

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

My daughter and I, unintended separation, my life hits newer and newer lows [ 5 Answers ]

A little long but a true story; all must be taken into account to give the proper advices, not opinions. I am 30 and have a 12 year old girl whom I haven't talked to for 5.5 years, we haven't seen each other for about nine. I come from a broken abusive home of self-righteous sociopaths...

How are newer religions different from older ones? [ 6 Answers ]

How are they similar? Can some one help with this question? I can not seem to find anything that regards to this on the web. Thanks in advance. ;)

View more questions Search