Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caflies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Replacing brick in outside chimney
    What is the best way to replace rotting bricks located in diff. spots above the heave in
    My outside chimney?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 09:50 AM

Are we talking about individual fired bricks? A picture would help. If you have individual bricks that are crumbling you can chisel out the mortar and then the brick. Dry fit a new brick and then wet the entire pocket, butter the new brick on all surfaces except the outside face and slide in. You may find it necessary to tuck in some addition mortar and then strike with a tuck pointing trowel.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:46 PM

Just to add if this is old soft brick in the chimney follow bals instruction but before you butter up the new brick and the hole it goes in WET the hole first. Old brick suck up too much water out of the new mortar and weakening the new mortar and can even powder it. Use a bucket and an old paint brush.

On the job site I use a hand pump sprayer. If the brick going in is also old wet/dampen that. In the summer we pre soak the old brick in buckets if the brick is the old red salmon style brick or a very dry brick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brick chimney removal [ 7 Answers ]

Advice needed: There are 2 unused brick chimneys we have to remove in an old two–story house my son and I are rehabbing. We have quite a bit of experience at rehabbing but have never taken down chimneys before and would like advice on the best, shortest, safest way to do it and which are the best...

Stone Chimney [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 stone block chimneys that have a few pieces that have fallen off, otherwise they seem to be in OK shape (from 1959). My question is - are you supposed to apply a waterproofer to the exterior of the chimney from time to time? Or is that not something that is typically done or recommended?...

Flashing a rock chimney (not brick) [ 5 Answers ]

Hey guys! This could be a long story but I'll keep it short. :) Pretty much my home inspector screwed me by overlooking an OBVIOUS leak in two places! Anyway, I have a leak in my garage attic around the chimney and also in the house attic around the chimney as well. The garage leak isn't too...

Chimney Cap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search