Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Apr 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
    1985 Eldorado running hot
    Against my advice my friend bought this car a month ago. Within weeks it overheated and would not start. The guy he bought it from came got it and "said" he put a new water pump on it.
    Now it has started overheating to the point it is spitting steam (smoke?) into the inside as well as outside of the car.
    He knows Nothing much about cars and I am trying to figure what it may be that would possibly cause this so at least we can get a clue as to what it will cost to fix.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2009, 08:39 AM

The radiator likely needs replacing, due to phosphate scale:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Apr 6, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Thank you I will pass it on.

Any clue what something like that ruins?
    It is a Eldorado 1985.
    I am in Maryland in case that makes a difference.

Thank you
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 07:40 PM

The sensor that controls the radiator cooling fans can potentially sustain damaged when servicing certain cooling system components on some models of that engine.

That having been said:
    The resulting inadvertent damage could result in less than optimum cooling system performance, I.E.: overheating.

What prior Cadillac engie repair experience did the person have that replaced the water pump?

If a person isn't careful, that particular sensor may have inadvertently become damaged.
    That, and some O-rings that haven't moved in years could and should also be suspected of leaking.
    Someone, probably not the seller, needs to do a thorough inspection to determine what is really needed.

In the marine world, they call it a survey. It is usually done by people with experience in the area.
    With cars, it's just a second opinion.
    I sure wish more car-knowin' people could educate the car-not-so-knowin' people before their "car-buying passion" over-rules the "car-buying needs and realities."

Inquire here for your second opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Running Rough [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I've had this car for 5 years and it always ran great. Did regular oil change and tune-ups. The car began running rough a few months ago and has also been difficult to start, so I got it a tune-up and a new battery but the problems still exist. First, it's hard to start when cold. I've got...

1985 bmw 325e [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bmw 325e the car runs good cold, when it warms up it runs sluggish,then when I turn it off and wait about 5 min turn it on it has no power sluggish, can't carry itself 10feet, it's a 5 speed car. I've changed the motronic control unit , the mass aitflow, the cts, checked the exhaust for...

1993 Eldorado will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Eldorado with a 4.9 engine. The car sat for about 2 months without use, I got laid-off from work. I started the car after sitting idle for this time and drove it only this one time. The car ran fine. Fast forward two months later, and I went to start the car to go into town. Nothing....

1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time....

View more questions Search