Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Did the Chicago Bears make a good trade for Cutler?
    The Chicago Bears traded their quarterback (Orton) and some decent picks to The Denver Bronco's for their quarterback Jay Cutler.

Cutler made the Pro Bowl last year and is in his third year (I believe) in the NFL. He is very talented and has a very strong arm, but has a rep for being a little hard to handle. Will he fit into their locker room as far as getting along with his new team?

The Bears also picked up Pace for their offensive line for more protection of the QB.

One glaring point is that other than Hester, who can run down field to get under his passes? He has a great arm...

Hopefully solved SOME of the bears problems, but was the push worth the shove? And did this possibly even create other additional problems?

Stringer
    jeffrey michael Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Apr 8, 2009, 03:57 PM

The only problem I see is that they had to give up quite a bit to get him. Seriously to first sounds and a third and then kyle orton. It just seems like a lot for a player that has not really proven himself yet.
    Business Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 05:03 PM

You're correct in that he still has a lot to prove. However I am excited, he did make the Pro Bowl last year which isn't easy for a second year pro. (Yeah it it was his second year.)

Da Bears have been the Bears for over 23 years now since 1986 (Arguably the best defense ever), so maybe a 'franchise QB might help inspire the team... offense and the defense.

Your thoughts?

What city are you in and who is your favorite NFL Team?

Stringer
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
    You should be happy with this trade. Yes, they gave up a lot but Cutler is a young, talented player. He is just coming into his prime. And the Bears desperately need a franchise QB.
    Business Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    You should be happy with this trade. Yes, they gave up alot but Cutler is a young, talented player. He is just coming into his prime. And the Bears desperately need a franchise QB.
    My two favorite teams are the Bears and the Steelers (now in Chicago since 1979). Bears play Pittsburgh at home the second game of the season this year... can't wait.

I am excited JJ, it's just that our pro football team has left my heart on the tarmac so many times... :rolleyes:
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 06:02 PM

Well the 2009 schedule is out now for about a week... Bears play the Super Bowl Champ Steelers for their second game.. home opener... whew...
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Apr 20, 2009, 06:16 PM

Stringer, I live in the Vanderbilt area and have watched Cutler for a while. I concur with jeffrey michael. You may have given up a little too much to compete immediately. Still, looking at the division, the winner could be 8-8. Anything can happen in the playoffs. What is the scuttle on Hester?
    Business Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgsnkats View Post
    Stringer, I live in the Vanderbilt area and have watched Cutler for a while. I concur with jeffrey michael. You may have given up a little too much to compete immediately. Still, looking at the division, the winner could be 8-8. Anything can happen in the playoffs. What is the scuttle on Hester?
    He is a little disappointed from his results last year and the conversion to receiver. Once the spotlight is on you you like it there... I think that he will continue to improve at receiver though.

I just want the opportunity to watch an exciting game by a Chicago Bear QB... THAT hasn't happened in a great deal of time...

I think that Cutler will need a year or two, maybe three to be all he can be in Chicago, BUT they are going to need more help on the lines and another fast receiver...

Hopefully it there won't be a lot of 3 and outs this year... boring.

I am trying hard to get some good seats for this game against the Steelers (my other fav taem). A guy that works for me is a cousin to Jerry Angelo (Bears GM) and he is telling me that that game was the fastest selling...
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Apr 20, 2009, 08:50 PM

This has been a huge topic of discussion around here ever since the trade was announced. Personally I think it was good trade. I am not too concerned about giving up the draft picks simply because Angelo isn't known for drafting well on the offensive side in the first round.

People have mentioned that Orton does have a better record than Cutler but you have to look at the defenses each QB had. Don't get me wrong, I was a huge supporter of Orton (Go Boilermakers!) but I never had 100% confidence. Cutler is unproven here but he does have a certain pedigree already.

As far as his attitude, I think some of the veterans such as Kreutz should be able to keep him in line (ask Fred Miller's jaw LOL). He certainly can't be anywhere near as egotistical as Cade McNown .

Bottom line, I'm more concerned about finding a legitimate #1 receiver and Hester being the return-man he was.
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 09:10 PM

Well, preseason starts shortly any ideas on how the Bears will do this year?
    Business Expert

Sep 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
    Okay new season 2011 /12!

My Bears put a hurtin' on the falcons last Sunday. Next game is the Saints and then Green bay.

Could they possibly have 'put it all together' finally?

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the University of Chicago blocking access to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge? [ 33 Answers ]

See this interesting article by Stanley Kurtz in National Review Online: Stanley Kurtz on Barack Obama, Bill Ayers & Chicago Annenberg Challenge on National Review Online "When Obama made his first run for political office, articles in both the Chicago Defender and the Hyde Park Herald featured...

This should end the Three Bears story for good. [ 3 Answers ]

Baby Bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table; he looks into his small bowl. It is empty. "Who's been eating my porridge?!!" he squeaks. Papa Bear arrives at the big table and sits in his big chair. He looks into his big bowl, and it is also empty. "Who's been eating my...

Cutler roll top desk [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell if this is the genuine article?

I am located in Chicago, make our family complete [ 4 Answers ]

-- HOW DO I SEARCH TO FIND HIM--CAN I JUST PUT AD IN PAPER? I have known my husband for 7 years and we just got married last month. I have 2 kids from a previous relationship. And they were brought into my new relationship when they were 2yrs and 2mnths of age. Well know my kids are 9 yrs, and...

View more questions Search