Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katrina81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 01:47 AM
    Barking mad
    Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is a good dog I don't know what to do.

When I am at work he is not alone he also lives with 2 other little dogs which I thought would keep him company but he still barks please help me I don't want to sell him to keep my neighbours happy
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 09:26 PM
    I would wake up in the morning and go for a 1/2 hr walk/job, some type of exercise to get him tired... hopefully he'll be to tired to bark and will sleep or rest instead.. good luck!
    MISSIBAYBE Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Mar 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
    You need to invest in a good KONG BALL. Put treats in it every morning when you go to work. It'll keep him busy. Make sure you have lots of toys for him. When you get home from work, take him out for a run everyday!! And play with him before you go to bed to tire him out. Make sure you ignore your best friend in the morning. He might have anxiety issues when you're gone and that's why he barks all the time.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 28, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Use a soft muzzle, or buy him a special toy/bone like a kong and only let him play with it when your not home. Maybe leave the TV on for him too, that might help :)
    I have a dacshund too and he use to have a barking problem whenever I went into a store and tie him outside he barked bloody murder, now I bring a bone with me and leave him the bone.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Are you leaving the dogs outside all day? Some dogs are going to bark no matter what you do. The best thing to do is keep him inside in a crate. He will need a mid day break. If you can't make it home over lunch, try to have neighbor or a professional; dog walker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog barking at 7 am~any advice? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted a few weeks ago because my new shelter rescue dog, Barkley, (a small-ish one year old lab mix) was having diarrhea in the middle of the night. Luckily that is all resolved now, thank goodness! He sleeps through the night, in his crate, which we keep in our bedroom. Now he's...

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

Barking Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini doxie who is a year old. She continues to bark at everyone, I try to distract her with her toys or tell her to quiet down. I bring her to work with me on occasion. She's always around other people and dogs since she's been 3 months old. Lately, she barks at everyone. I can't get...

My German Shepherd's Barking [ 3 Answers ]

Kaiser, a 3 y.o.(desexed at 6 mths) is very devoted to me and is with me most of the day.We've had him since 6 weeks. We have no children and I suspect this is one of the reasons he doesn't like small girls. He barks at them.. also barks at old people in the street or public place, men wearing...

View more questions Search