Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ivory0921 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Why do my 2 female hamsters keep fighting w/ my smallest female hamster?
    I got two female Siberian (Campbell) hamsters a few months ago. I had them mated with my friend's male Siberian Hamster. After a few weeks both of them had babies. Of course I separated them until such time that their babies were old and big enough for all of them to be in the same cage. The only problem is I noticed that the two mommy hamsters keep picking on the smallest, dark colored female hamster (which is one of their children). I find it so weird since there are actually five of them in the cage and the two moms only seem to fight with that one hamster. Every time I hear squeaking I rush to check on them and often find that the biggest (most fat) mommy hamster is fighting with the small dark one. I always see the small dark one lying on its back with its teeth showing while the fat mommy hamster tries to fight with it. I even caught the fat mommy hamster just sitting on top of the small dark hamster! I already tried separating the two mommy hamsters for a few days then putting them all back in the same cage to see if things would be different. This was the only time I was able to see the small dark hamster come out of its hiding place to play and walk around the cage. As soon as I put them back they started picking on the small one again. Help! Why is it that they only pick on this small dark hamster and not the other ones? I checked and it doesn't seem to have any serious injuries nor is it bleeding. What should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 10:57 AM

Remove the small dark one and put her in her own cage.

Apr 4, 2009, 11:11 AM

Does anybody have any ideas why they are doing this?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory0921 View Post
    Does anybody have any ideas why they are doing this?
    Three human women in the same room often do not get along. The same goes for hamsters. The dark one may be weaker and is subject to abuse. We will never know if it's her smell or her fear that the other hampster can sense or the fact that she is female too (and a rival?). Female hamsters do not recognize their children after they stop nursing (and often don't care if another female nurses them). Mother love is not part of hamster life.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 02:05 PM

Are they syrian hamsters? If so, they will fight, often to the death.

Syrians do not like the company of other hamsters, they are solitary animals and will kill each other if forced to live together.

Separate all of them, otherwise you may wake up one morning to find one or more of them dead.

Good luck.

Apr 5, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Are they syrian hamsters? If so, they will fight, often to the death.

Syrians do not like the company of other hamsters, they are solitary animals and will kill eachother if forced to live together.

Seperate all of them, otherwise you may wake up one morning to find one or more of them dead.

Good luck.
    -- I think I made it pretty clear in my post that they are SIBERIAN (Campbell) Hamsters.
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 02:10 PM
    -- I think I made it pretty clear in my post that they are SIBERIAN (Campbell) Hamsters.
    Wow, didn't see that, but your attitude is great (NOT!)

Calm down a bit, you see, I don't get paid to do this, I do it because I want to help. Chances are, if you ever ask another question, you won't be getting an answer from me, so good luck!

I just adore people who come here with tons of attitude, they really make me want to continue doing this (sarcasm).

FYI, if you keep this up, you won't last long here, just a tip.

Good luck.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Wow, didn't see that, but your attitude is great (NOT!)

Calm down a bit, you see, I don't get paid to do this, I do it because I want to help. Chances are, if you ever ask another question, you won't be getting an answer from me, so good luck!

I just adore people who come here with tons of attitude, they really make me want to continue doing this (sarcasm).

FYI, if you keep this up, you won't last long here, just a tip.

Good luck.
    Can'yt rep you Starby but..
    Maybe the attitude and negative aura is rubbing off and making them fight.. Gees Its not like you didn't do your best.
    Don't let it get to you hon,we all know where your coming from and its all good!
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 02:21 PM

Ivory gave me a reddie on top of it. Well, seems that someone doesn't know the rules.

Time to RIP. Bye Ivory.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Can'yt rep ya Starby but..
    Maybe the attitude and negative aura is rubbing off and making them fight..Gees Its not like you didn't do your best.
    Don't let it get to you hon,we all know where your coming from and its all good!
    Im sorry honey I know you are Alty I got so mad and I went loco:)
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 02:31 PM

Sad thing is, I don't think that the breed of hamster was included in the original post, looks like the OP changed it. If not, well, I read and answer a lot of posts every day, sometimes I make a mistake. I guess we're supposed to be perfect. ;)

Whatever. I won't waste my time on people like this, I have better things to do and there are people who actually appreciate the time others take to answer their questions.

I've reported it Artsy, let the mods decide.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Comments on this post
    Ivory0921 disagrees: Accurate (NOT!) Hahaha

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

-- Thanks but NO THANKS. No one asked YOU to view and answer any of my questions.
    Actually you did! By posting a question here you opened yourself to comments from any other member here.

You also need to review the rules on how to treat other people.

Apr 5, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Comment and disagree all you want. You know this is my page and I'll ask and criticize all I want. It's not my fault your friend couldn't read. Ya'll need to get a life. I'm off to YAHOO ANSWERS! :p

{Edited-<>}
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Comment and disagree all you want. You know this is my page and I'll ask and criticize all I want. It's not my fault your friend couldn't read.

{Edited-<>}
    No this is not your page. This is OUR site and you use it according to OUR rules or you don't use it at all.

True Altenweg, made a boo boo by missing your mention of the breed. But your reaction to it was totally uncalled for. You could have more politely pointed out that you had mentioned it.

The rules say you should be polite and civil. You were not. Any further infraction will result in further action being taken.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Sad thing is, I don't think that the breed of hamster was included in the original post, looks like the OP changed it.
    I love you dearly, but have to tell you that I saw the original post that did include the breed information (I was going to research the breed, but didn't). When no one jumped to answer, I responded five minutes later.
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I love you dearly, but have to tell you that I saw the original post that did include the breed information (I was going to research the breed, but didn't). When no one jumped to answer, I responded five minutes later.
    Guess I missed it. Darnit, there have been a lot of hamster questions lately and it's all become a jumble. Thanks Wondergirl.

Sad thing is, I do know the breed she's talking about, normally they can live in groups but they are a very aggressive breed of hamster. When I was looking to get hamsters for the kids, the pet store employee highly recommended we stay clear of them.

Also, because on of the hamsters had babies, the others will be more aggressive, it's natural behavior.

Either way, I stand by the advice I gave which is to separate them, at least until the babies are older.

I became angry with the attitude of the OP, really don't need that when giving free advice.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No this is not your page. This is OUR site and you use it according to OUR rules or you don't use it at all.

True Altenweg, made a boo boo by missing your mention of the breed. But your reaction to it was totally uncalled for. You could have more politely pointed out that you had mentioned it.

The rules say you should be polite and civil. You were not. Any further infraction will result in further action being taken.
    I got my butt spanked (?)early on for not citing my references.You were kind Scott and send me a personal message.That was very nice.You could have done it publicly but you didn't.
    I suspect the reason you were private with me was because I didn't get belligerent as this expert has.
    You get what you give and being nasty gets you no where.
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 03:20 PM

Ivory, let me ask you a question.

If someone came up to you and asked you a question, you took time out of your day to answer and then, because you misunderstood something, that person yelled at you and belittled you, would you just sit there and take it, shrug it off?

Judging by the attitude you've displayed here, I'd be willing to bet that you'd get really mad.

Well, guess what, I'm human too, and when I take time out of my life to help someone and make a mistake, I don't take kindly to that person yelling at me and being disrespectful.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always right, and had you come on and stated "Altenweg, please re-read my thread, I did mention the breed", I would have apologized and found you the correct information. That's not what you did.

As for cancelling your account, I can't say I'd miss you. We're here to help people, you most obviously aren't and don't appreciate it when others try to help you.

Good luck in your future.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 03:21 PM
    why do you yell in bold why can"t you just speak
    Pets Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Get a life. Who asked YOU?
    You did, by posting in a public forum.

Everyone, it's time to back off. Obviously this OP wants a fight, wants some attention and all we're doing is giving her an audience.

I'm unsubscribing to the thread, ignoring her. Trust me, when you take away the attention, sooner or later they leave.

I guess it's spring break and the kids are bored, you get used to it after a while. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mean Female Cat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need help trying to understand why my 1 year old female cat does not like anyone to visit my home. She becomes very feral to my guest, hissing, biting, scratching and even trying to attack my young grandchildren. She is not spade yet and goes in and out of heat often. I really need to...

Female dogs fighting BAD! [ 1 Answers ]

My Mom has 2 female dogs. One is a 4 year old chihuahua and the other is a 1 year old dachshund. She has had both since they were 8 weeks old. Basically these dogs have been together for a year now. Both are spayed. Out of nowhere, they have started viciously fighting! The dachshund tries to mount...

Female Cat [ 2 Answers ]

We have a stray cat, who has been in our home for over 3 years. She's a calico and appears never to have been fixed. She was wild outdoors through 3 winters here in Vermont. Today, all of a sudden, she's bleeding or menstruating out her vagina. OR, could she have a urinary track infection?

View more questions Search