Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khussar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
    When does a neighbor own your property because they mow the lawn?
    When we first moved into our home, our next-door neighbor offered to mow a portion of our side yard in exchange for allowing her to keep a mound that she had planted in flowers. This mound was actually in a large part on our side of the lot line. At the time I thought it an odd arrangement, but didn't say anything. The house has since changed hands and somehow the new neighbors became responsible for mowing this portion of land. My husband spoke to them, so I'm not quite sure what was said. Several years have passed and I am suddenly most uncomfortable with this arrangement. My concern is, first embarrassment that I have allowed this to go on for so long, and second because of something I remember about ownership of land that you have cared for over time. Is there such a law in Pennsylvania?
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Apr 4, 2009, 12:19 PM

It's called I think something like squatter's rights or quiet title. Say neighbor has been parking his car or driving over a section of your property to get to his, you allow him to do it by not posting the land as no tresspassing etc. After I think 25 years of him having uninterrupted access to it he can apply to seize title to that particular part of your land, or have a right of way to it so you can't tell him to keep off. Maybe you could offer to pay for the neighbor's gas or something so she is "working" for you instead of just permitted on there. But the arrangement would start over I guess with the new owner, I mean I think she would have to go another 25 years after it changes hands if she doesn't lay any claim to it, I think.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:56 AM

Hello k:

You are referring to Adverse Possession. It's a means of acquiring property without the permission of or sale by the real owner. In order to establish a claim of Adverse Possession, the claimant must satisfy the following elements:

The possession of the property must be Continuous. As it sounds, this means uninterrupted possession of the property for a period of twenty (20) years (in Pennsylvania).

The next element is Open, meaning that the possession must be visible and not secretive.

The third element is Hostile, meaning that the possession must be without the real owner's permission and against that owner's interests.

The fourth element, Exclusive, means that the adverse possessor must exercise control of the land, excluding all others. If the claimant can satisfy these elements, he/she may be able to file a claim for ownership of the subject property. This claim would be initiated by filing a Petition in the Court of Common Please of the County in which the property is located.

If your situation fits that criteria, I'd hire a real estate lawyer to fix it.

excon
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Since you gave the neighbor permission to mow the lawn they are not fulfilling the requirement of hostile possession. To be safe it would be a good idea to give them something in writing, such as a letter, letting them know that they have your permission to mow the lawn. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor says my fence on his property [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for almost 20 years, the house was built in 1986. My property was surrounded by wooded area originally until recently, owners are trying to secion off the land parcels to build sincle family homes. I had land all around me up until 2 years ago, then a house was built next to...

If my garage encroaches my neighbor with the majority on his property, can I claim [ 2 Answers ]

The garage has been used exclusively and continuously by the owners of my house for over 30 years; it is hostile, open, notorious; I pay taxes on the garage exclusively - so I believe I can claim adverse possession or an action to quiet title or a prescriptive easement. But the boundary goes...

Neighbor won't trim brush off my property [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor has a brush not bush growing well over 3 feet onto my yard. Its very unattractive and mosquitoes love it. I have ask her to trim them. She called the police? Of course I had no Problem with them but she still has refused to clear the awful mess off my yard. It also blocks my view out...

Neighbor attached to fence on our property w/out consent [ 1 Answers ]

Before we put our fence up, we asked our neighbor if he would like to share the fence line, including costs and he said yes. When the day came to erect the fence, we called the neighbor and he said he could not afford it at that time and he also wanted to change the location of where the fence...

View more questions Search