Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cvsmoove Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Installing new furnace
    I am looking to replace my hvac unit. I have had one installer tell me I need 2 pvc lines, one to bring in combustion air and one to vent out. Another installer told me that the intake is not necessary. The equipment is Goodman 95%, variable speed fan.
    How important is this?
    Chris
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 10:22 AM

Depends on the size of the room your furnace is in and what is located neer it
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
    If you have plenty of free space I would just go with 1 pipe system

Apr 5, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    If you have plenty of free space i would just go with 1 pipe system
    Is there an advantage to have two? I was told that It would improve air quality. Does it require less humidification? I live in Wisconsin, so it gets pretty cold.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:06 PM

I have never installed a Goodman 95% but I have others and I always use the two pipe venting system. I am including a site that you might read about to help make up your mind.

http://www.djsonline.com/gmhspecs.pdf

Apr 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    I have never installed a Goodman 95% but I have others and I always use the two pipe venting system. I am including a site that you might read about to help make up your mind.

http://www.djsonline.com/gmhspecs.pdf
    Is there a formula for determining if I need 2" or 3" venting? I have a 2" pipe on my current furnace, about 22' length w/ 1-90 and 2-45 degree turns to outside wall. This does not include the outside piping. I would like to use this if I can, but don't want to cheap out at the risk of performance.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:49 PM

How many btu's is your new furnace going to be?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:50 PM
    You should be able to go up to 30 foot on a 100,000 BTU

Apr 5, 2009, 01:53 PM
    you should be able to go up to 30 foot on a 100,000 btu
    92000 btu's. So the sxisting pipe should be OK?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:54 PM

Yse I would say so inless goodman has some special requirements. Do you have 1 pipe or 2 now?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Usually you only need 3 in pipe for 125,000 BTU furnaces or inles you are going over 45 feet or so

Apr 5, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Yse i would say so inless goodman has some special requirements. Do you have 1 pipe or 2 now?

1 pipe, Do you have an opinion about Goodman quality?
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 02:02 PM

As for myself I have never had much good luck with the goodman of janitrol brand. I have never installed 1, just serviced them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

Is goodman the only brand you were considering? The 95% eff is good as is the varable speed, how is the warranty on the unit? A varable speed fan will run you around $450 if it goes bad
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 02:26 PM

I just saw this post. Use a concentric vent kit: http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-166.pdf

Th install won't look ugly. It's looks like one pipe out of the wall. No U bends or large pieces of pipe.

Drawing cumbustion air from outside is a good idea. When this is is used, the cumbustion chamber is isolated from the house.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cvsmoove View Post
    1 pipe, Do you have an opinion about Goodman quality?
    I have had great luck with the newer goodmans. 2" is good for under 105,000 input. 105 and over requires 3". Also, exhuast slope is very important. Goodman is one of the highest eff forced air furnaces out there. And purchase price is very reasonable. I don't think you will regret the choice, however, all furnaces will work only as good as the install. If you are doing this yourself, I would suggest two pipes, intake and exhuast. Follow the venting directions very closely. This will allow you to sleep better at night knowing that you have done everything as professionally as possible. Does the board on your goodman have a spot on it to switch from 1st stage to 2nd stage. This will be a very small set of three switches. One will be for blower on time. One will switch from 1 to 2 stage, and one will switch from auto to 5 minute switch over(from 1st to 2nd stage)
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
    just a thought

don`t know where you are getting your furnace,but if you are not a qualified/certified /licensed contractor,you probably won`t have a warranty on a furnace you install yourself.the parts,even if you know how to install can get pretty expensive if bought with no warranty,, especially that variable speed fan motor
    Ive not been convenced that they are worth th extra bucks

just something to consider

Apr 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    just a thought

don`t know where you are getting your furnace,but if you are not a qualified/certified /licensed contractor,you probably won`t have a warranty on a furnace you install yourself.the parts,even if you know how to install can get pretty expensive if bought with no warranty,,,especially that variable speed fan motor
    Ive not been convenced that they are worth th extra bucks

just something to consider
    I had considered doing it myself, but decided to go with a local licensed contractor for the very reasons you gave, Thanks
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 04:17 PM

Did he agree to use the 1 vent or did you add a second pipe?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 04:18 PM

Great decision. Hope all goes smoothly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing used Burnham oil furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a Burnham V-8 series 4 section furnace from a plumber who said it had been used for only 6 months. I installed it where my old furnace was and connected the electric and thermostat, opened the water and let it fill the water jacket and then turned on the main switch. The circulator pump...

Installing a new furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I just received a quote on the installation of a new furnace. The home is small (940 s.f.) The quote was for a single stage Goodman, 80% eff. 70k BTU. The furnace sells on-line for $625.00. The quote was $2100.00. Seems high. Any advice? Thanks - Rollout

Installing transfer switch at gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased the Reliance TF201W Easy / Tran switch. I'm planning to install it so I can run my gas furnace off my generator via extension cord this winter if necessary. The installation instructions show the switch being wired into the breaker panel. My breaker panel is in a finished basement...

View more questions Search