Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alejandro2009 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 4, 2009, 09:33 AM
    There's a virus on my computer what do I do!
    Ok a few days ago my little sister started playing some games online and didn't pay attention t her though. When I got on the computer it was freezing. Now its been like this for two weeks there are many pop-ups of advertisements like redCure, shop or stop zilla and etc never seen in that in my life. I can't go on YouTube or watch movies like before because it says your javascript is off and I enabled it like a million times and nothing and I never had this problem before either. Also pop ups of spyware come up and say your computer is infected or has severe problems. When I go in my e-mail account it says can't retrieve any mail now and I also never had this problem before. This crap is getting me tired and headache that I don't know what to do. I want to buy norton antivirus but if I do I don't know how to use it. If I buy it will it install on my computer right away? Or will it come by mail to my house? Does it take the virus off my computer and will it go back to normal? Im computer stupid so please help me and explain everything slow to me. Please help asap because I'm tired of this crap. Thank you!!

-Alejandro
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 09:40 AM

You should have had the Norton on all along. If you computer is that infected you may want to get Norton (don't know if your present problem will let you download Norton) and then save everything you want on your computer and install your O/S all over again. I "clean" out my computer on an average of every 6 months or so. I have a separate hard disk that I throw anything on that I want to keep and then just play computer wipe out and reload everything all over again. You sound like your computer is really infected with who knows what. Buy the disc and have it sent to your home. It can be run off the disk prior to installing to hopefully delete any virus you have before installing the program. I like Norton Internet Security myself. Go to Ebay and buy a disc version cheaper than on Norton site or Google in for stores that will let you buy for about $20 or so versus I think $46 on Norton site.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 09:41 AM

There are plenty of free antivirus programs - AVG, for example (free for home use, but not business use):

AVG Free - Antivirus software for Windows XP and Vista

Before you load that, however, you need to get rid of the virus you have -- some viruses can prevent antivirus programs from starting or scanning. There are a number of free online scanners available. You need to boot into safe mode with network support. Then, get online and scan. (google "online antivirus scan"). Here's another post asking similar things:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...es-331724.html
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Apr 4, 2009, 02:49 PM

I agree with twinkiedooter except for one thing. I would suggest using Internet Explorer, go to:

Free Virus Scan - Free Antivirus Software | Norton Security Scan

Click "Continue to Symantec Security Check", in the next window click No when asked if you want to close this window, that will bring you to a window where you should click Virus Detection.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: : and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually. Make sure that you follow the instructions for removal, step by step, especially the part regarding disabling System Restore.
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 04:10 AM

Hi,
    I suggest you that full scan your computer with Superantispyware or Malwarebyte Anti-Malware. Please download and install on your computer both are free tools.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Computer Has a Virus [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop has a virus. What is my best course of action to try to remedy the problem?

Virus on the computer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone I have a Virus on my computer. I am running XP Media Center, with a wireless network that I put together myself and was very surprised that it worked. But now I have a Virus and is not able to get on line or able to us my restore disk. Please HELP ME, I just don't know what...

Virus in computer [ 7 Answers ]

My brother has a gateway laptop computer, and it has a virus, I don't know how to clean it out. Is there any software that I can use to get ride of the virus? What can I do to get the virus out! Thanks

Virus on computer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I delete viruses on my computer?

Computer Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trojan on my PC called generic.cd it is in the file icc.dll in Windows. I am using McAfee anti virus software. The trojan cannot be cleaned and the file cannot be deleted. I have quarantened the trojan but when I rescan the PC it has returned. I tried the McAfee online help but without...

View more questions Search