Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TomasDR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 01:31 PM
    Rusted drain pipe broke off, how do I fix it...
    We were having some kitchen cabinets installed and the drain pipe the goes into the wall for the sink broke off, well part of the threads broke off inside the 45 deg. Connector inside the wall.

I can see the 45 deg connector and it looks fine and so does the pipe inside the wall, we removed the window sill for another reason so I can also see the connector and wall pipe from above.

The problem is most of the threads from the old nipple are still in the 45 deg connector. I have tried steel wool & a wire brush but I am getting nowhere. It's a 1.5 inch line.

What are my options? I can break more of the plaster to get to the 45 degree connector to remove it but I am unsure of the other pipe's threads and would prefer to leave it connected since the house is 50 years old. The wall pipe seems to be holding up to the scraping and brushing I was giving the connector. And the connector looks solid.

Do they make taps for 1.5 inch pipe?
    Would it be best to break the plaster and replace the 45 connector?
    Is there some sort of magic lube I can buy?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if the terminology isn't correct.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 02:47 PM
    When threads break off I take a small, (very small) sharp chisel and carefully tap the chisel under the threads. You might mess up one thead doing it but teflon tape will seal the rest of the threads. When I get my chisel under one of the broken threads I pry it up and peel the rest of them out. After you remove the broken threads you can screw a PVC male threaded compression fitting in the 45 and convert to PVC the rest of the way. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hole in tub rusted and too big [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Plumbing Geniuses, I have a bath tub that looks like it has been leaking for years at the tub drain. Consequently, the hole in the bottom of the tub is rotten and rusted around the edges, and bigger than it should be. The new drain replacement will not fit securely and there could be...

Broke off copper pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?

Shower drain rusted unable to remove, help. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked at the WingTite shower drain instructions and they seem pretty much clear. Before I proceed I would like to know if these steps will work on my drain because before I found their website I tried to remove the drain by gaining access from the bottom of the shower and could not. I found...

Help me with my Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I had ceramic tile installed in an upstairs bathroom and a laundry room last week. I removed the toilet from upstairs bathroom and a washer and dryer from the laundry room on the main floor prior to installation. I put the toilet back on this week and reconnected the washer and dryer in the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search