Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gad2980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 05:24 AM
    Elderly rights for breaking lease due to medical reasons
    I have spoken to the main office at the senior living apartment that my mother has resided at since May of 2005. She has always paid her rent on time and has never been a problem.
    My question is this... If her doctor has filed a FL2 (papers that require her to move to assisted living for her own safety due to a stroke)is the landlord able to hold her to her lease agreement and retain her deposit for breaking her lease 22 days before it was up for renewal? We gave a thirty day notice and paid the rent for those thirty days as well even though my mother has already been moved to an assisted living facility. I also went in and asked for a copy of her original lease which they provided and they also said they gave me her newest lease that was supposed to be dated may 2008 to may 2009 but the last lease they gave me ended on may of 2008.
    I just feel there has got to be a law that if the doctor demands she live somewhere safer for her well being that they can no longer hold her to her agreement since she is no longer able to make the decision of where she lives from here on out.
    I am hoping that someone can help me and would deeply appreciate any advice you may have for us.
    Sincerely
    Sara J Smith
    North Carolina
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2009, 06:22 AM

Generally there isn't, But I'm really surprised that senior living wouldn't have something in the lease about such things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Breaking Lease due to medical reasons [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had to go to the emergency room and was told my gallbladder was infected and had to get surgery immediately. I had to be off both of my jobs for two weeks and since then I have not been able to afford my bills. I'm stuck deciding do I pay my electric bill, or my college payment. My year...

Breaking Lease for Medical Reasons [ 1 Answers ]

My friend lives in the state of Virginia, his father has to have major surgery to have a metal plate inserted in the entire left side of his head due to an accident. He needs to break his lease and move in with his father to be the caretaker. Upon discussing this situation with his landlord, the...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

Our mother in law is being put in disability by her doctor. She is being forced to leave her job and will soon require continuous care. For this reason, we are moving her from Philadelphia to Oregon. Her lease runs through August. She approached management with this and they want her to pay 4...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

View more questions Search