Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Are you addicted? [AMHD Anonymous]
    I'm not sure if this is the right section to put it in, maybe the Members Discussion but it can always be moved;)

Do you find yourself sitting on your butt reading thread after thread, typing till your hands have become this super typing machine.

Well I have- I've recently joined the wonderful world of AMHD and find myself posting even at work and now as we speak [ahem 1:37AM].

I know there are more of you addicted Ask Me Helpers out there. So what can we do about this, after all we are helping people...

Have any stories? Did you get caught at work? Has your spouse complained [mine just did- teehee]

MRS.S
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 11:13 PM

Hi, mudweiser!

Yes, I'm truly addicted! Perhaps it might be good for people to discuss the pros and cons to being addicted to here as well as proactively discuss the times when and why it might be good to stay on with someone at a particular time as well as when it's okay to leave.

I know, that for me, it can sometimes be a problem being on here so much. But, for the times when we're trying to help someone who's in some sort of crisis, it can be great to share with them and know that we've touched their lives in some sort of meaningful, helpful way.

Thanks!
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 3, 2009, 11:13 PM

I have a lot of free time, and I mean a lot. I am here or on YouTube etc almost all day.

But I've gotten into the habbit of getting out, try to make an agreement to exercise with a friend, go for walks, and generally be active. If you keep to a schedule or regular rutine the joy of exercise will pull you away from the computer.

Also, try timing yourself. Say, OK, I usually spend X amount of time, I will only allow for Z amount of time. If you don't listen then don't be upset, it takes time, but you have to keep on yourself to stop at a fixed time. Also, start small. So, cut back by maybe an hour, or so and continue to cut back more and more until you do it to a reasonable extent.

Keeping yourself occupied in other activies, not just exercise (is that spelled right?) but reading books, make some really nice dinners or bake some food. Mmmm food. I'd advice you to refrain form the T.V. and videogames too, as they are pretty much the same thing.

Try joining a group, or getting friends together, for movie nights, games nights, dancing, learn to play guitar (I love my guitfidle and I only just started to play it with in the last month, though I've had it for like 6 years. Videogames sucked the motivation right out of me. Yes It was my fault.)

Maybe try meditaion, very hard to do, I have not bin able to, but I would love to do it. I s'pose the only way to get good at it, is by doing it, and being strong. Focus your mind and think of one thing, breathing, then picture a wondreful quiet natuaral place. Peace of mind makes it easier to sort out life, especailly when it's really not important, and you stress over it.

Volunteer your extra time, kind of like what you may do here, but up close and personal. I volunteer for a women's shelter, no I don't really go there, I work at our local court house and I'm a liaison between clients (male and female) and lawers. I help them find their place with in the court so they don't have to feel intimidated, lost, confused, or alone. I see a lot of very emotional people through tough times, and try to give them reasurence, and support as best I can. It can be very gratifying, just knowing that some one who was about to break down and pretty much just give up, didn't because you gave them something as small as a moment of your time. But there are tons of different things that you can do, like look after animals, or teen youth group leader, and so forth.

I think the idea is to try and get out there, live life, I would advise against drinking/ drugs for any one, mostly because I've never seen any one really live while under the influence of them. Really it makes us dumb, they are self stupidifying acts. Might as well get a lobotomy and stay that way for the rest of your life. Sorry, I'm pretty against such acts. The family has a history of such things and I've seen the after math of what they do to a person, as well as the effects during. It's hard to watch...

Any who Moving on. I hope that helps, and gives you some direction.

Sorry I rambled on so long...
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 3, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, mudweiser!

Yes, I'm truly addicted! Perhaps it might be good for people to discuss the pros and cons to being addicted to here as well as proactively discuss the times when and why it might be good to stay on with someone at a particular time as well as when it's okay to leave.

I know, that for me, it can sometimes be a problem being on here so much. But, for the times when we're trying to help someone who's in some sort of crisis, it can be great to share with them and know that we've touched their lives in some sort of meaningful, helpful way.

Thanks!
    That is so true. Perhaps we need to remember that we can not save others, they had to save themselves, just as we need to save ourselves...
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 01:02 AM

I enjoy helping others where I can as I think most of us here do too. But I have to say that my butt hurts, my heck hurts, my fingers hurt and my eyes cross without warning... after slapping myself occasionally I seem to be good for a few more hours on the Desk though.

I think that I need help... hehehe.

Stringer
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 04:58 PM

I'm addicted. I admit it. I even try to answer a question and talk with my son at the same time. Sometimes my posts reflect this as I get stuff wrong. Yes. My kid never shuts up so I don't mind asking him to repeat something he's said.

I think I've helped some folks on here with some of their questions so I don't feel this is a waste of time. It does make time go by much faster though. I'll start cruising the boards and bam it's 2AM.

Sometimes I don't post my answer but just like to read what other members have posted.

Each day I go down my huge list of favorite internet sites and read all the news - world and national and local and lots of other interesting stuff and then come back to AMHD and settle in and try to help out posters.

It CAN become a real addiction though... I'm warning you..!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2009, 06:42 PM

Hi, My name is chuck and I am a amhd addict.

I have cut down a lot since getting custody of my son every night but still find myself on here too much.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Hi, My name is chuck and I am a amhd addict.
    Haha that made me chuckle.

MRS.S
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:57 AM
    I go through cycles... will be here all the time for a time... then some... then off almost completely... repeat...

I also cycle in and out of groups. Tho' I'm mostly in adult sex, I've spent time in fitness, relationships, and a few other areas consistently. When my mind is tired or I'm in a rut, I don't have the patience for relationships... even tho' I like to give advice there.

Addicted? I suppose.

I came here for advice about my furnace. Stayed for sex talk.

Oops.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:07 AM

I consider myself addicted, but it's addiction that I am not going to give up and it IS one of my healthiest addictions by far.

My partner calls this my Dear Abby website and while he isn't one for counseling or sharing "feelings", I am exactly the opposite.

I have found bringing some of my own experiences can bring help to so many, because everyone has a story. I have also found that when I am having a problem looking for a solution, the VOLUMES of helpful, educated, intelligent people on this site have given me fresh perspective on the situation.

I love this site. I hope that everyone who visits does.

It has also been so enlightening how much you can learn of a person's character by a simple post or thread.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:10 AM

Guilty... although I come and go in spurts it seems.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:13 AM

Oh yeah,for sure, addicted!
    So much so that I am beginning to give myself time restraints.
    I don't always hold myself to them,but at least I am aware.
    They say that awareness is half the battle toward change,we shall see.
    I am not working and I am here alone all day but when I get on here I don't feel so alone :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I enjoy helping others where I can as I think most of us here do too. But I have to say that my butt hurts, my heck hurts, my fingers hurt and my eyes cross without warning...after slapping myself occasionally I seem to be good for a few more hours on the Desk though.

I think that I need help...hehehe.

Stringer

I don't have to slap myself. Other people on AMHD keep slapping me, saving me the trouble.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't have to slap myself. Other people on AMHD keep slapping me, saving me the trouble.
    Where does exy keep slapping you? The naughty boy. ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    where does exy keep slapping you? the naughty boy. ;)
    Hey this isn't going to be a dirty thread KP [you sex-talk/dirty-maker addict] ;)

I am truly addicted. I'm on here at work, when I wake up at 2 am for no reason, and on and off throughout the day.

AMHD is my drug of choice.

MRS.S
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Apr 7, 2009, 11:25 AM
    I find myself coming back for more and more all the time I cannot wait to see what is going to show up next I am on here at least 5 times a day...
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelight198073 View Post
    I find myself coming back for more and more all the time i cannot wait to see what is going to show up next i am on here at least 5 times a day....
    Wow, please tell me how to reduce my time... only five times a day, you're doing fine Nitelight... Opps... my eyes just crossed again,, (:::SLAP:::: Aaaaaa,, better):rolleyes:
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 12:39 PM

I am just here once a day... it just all the hours I put in in the one visit a day that gets me into trouble.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    Hey this isn't going to be a dirty thread KP [you sex-talk/dirty-maker addict] ;)
    MRS.S
    oh darlin, every thread can become a "dirty thread"... until the mods restrict me with virtual straight jackets and de facto censorship.

sorry.

I is what I is. You can slap my knuckles if you want.

pretty please? =)
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    is what i is. you can slap my knuckles if you want. pretty please? =)

You asked for it. Grr.

MRS.S

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anonymous Breakouts [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been suffering with these horrific breakouts for the past 2 1/2 yrs. And he's been unable to seek medical attention. We know that its not hives, he gets these whelp like bumps on his body that mainly come at night, it usually starts by itching and is the same color as his skin and...

Anonymous complaint re. My property [ 2 Answers ]

Can I find out who made a complaint about a" substandard stucture" on my property to the county? I do not live within city limits?

My miss anonymous [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have posted already posted a thread on how to talk to girls, but there is one thing There is this girl at school, she is really pretty, and I have noticed her looking at me at times, and I know she has noticed me looking at her. I have had so many chances to talk to her but I didn't...

Anonymous and secure emailing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I live in a country undergoing a coup and human rights abuses occurring daily. In order to send messages with a minimum chance of identification I set up a webmail account, this does not seem to provide useful IP information in a test email but presumably ones ISP could log your use of...

View more questions Search