Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awoodman1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 12:50 AM
    Siblings and Inlaws
    I have two older brothers who are both married, and I'm single. My middle brother and I both agree that when my Dad passes away the only people who will be able to make any decisions should be my two brothers and myself. My oldest brother wants his wife to be able to make decisions too. His wife is very pushy and when my Grandmother passed away the two of them took a lot of things and never asked my middle brother or myself if we would like any of my Grandmothers possessions. My oldest brother is the executor to my Dad's estate. Should my Dad make all three of us executors so not one person has any extra power or voice on the other two?
    Are there any horror stories on the web that I can read when brothers wives or sisters husbands try to get involved in deceased parents wills and possessions?

Thank you so much,
    Andrea
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2006, 04:48 AM
    Yes, have you brother and yourself ask your dad to make the three of you co-executors with majority rule. Once its in his will your older brother won't be able to make decisions alone (or under his wife's influence).

However, this could cause bad blood between you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2006, 02:09 PM
    I agree with Scott.

Have your Dad make all 3 of you co-executors.

Ever if you were getting along now, I say protect yourself, because who knows what it will be like when your Dad passes on.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
    My mother's sister-in-law did something similar when my uncle (the sister-in-laws brother-in-law) died. There has since been great animosity toward the sister-in-law and her husband (one of the living brothers). The best thing that happened was that the will was contested, it was sent to probate court and the other living brother and sister were awarded their share because they were able to prove the sister-in-law was proven to be demanding and greedy.

You really need to do what the others have suggested, if not you run the risk of losing your share. Even if you end up in probate court that could take years, and you may not win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex inlaws [ 5 Answers ]

I have 3 grown children (his,mine & ours) mine was adopted as was his one family. But my ex in-laws have interfered from the beginning telling her I was a bad mother & she didn't have to listen to him , he wasn't her Daddy. She is 27 now and has a drug problem, bipolar ,on corrections, looks like...

View more questions Search