Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 3, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Wanting another pet hamster
    Okay, well I thought about it for quite a while and have decided to get another pet, A hamster. Unfortunately I don't know much about them, so please if you have any tips or info or experiences about hamsters I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2009, 12:50 PM

They don't live a long time!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 01:44 PM

I don't really like them myself but rescued one that was being neglected. The trick with them is lots of attention and patience. They need a of handling to become nice. Other than that they are pretty low maintenance.

RSPCA || Pet care
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Mine was smart enough to open the little door, so make sure you get a good cage.

Hamsters are low maintenance pets, but there are a few things a new owner should know about the care of a hamster. Before bringing your hamster home, you will need a few essential items. You will need a cage, a water bottle, food dishes, bedding and food. Because hamsters are natural born escape artists, when buying a cage, look for one that is escape proof. They sell cages that are specifically designed for hamsters. The sell all kids. It's all a matter of preference when deciding which cage is right for you.

When buying bedding, opt for regular unscented pine shavings. Never use cedar because it can cause a reaction that can kill your hamster. Add enough bedding for the hamster to rearrange to his own liking. You can add a little hamster house if you wish or even some empty bathroom tissue rolls. It's recommended cleaning a hamsters cage at least once a week. When cleaning, dispose of all the used bedding and all uneaten food. Replace the bedding and add fresh food after cleaning the cage.

Hamsters are notorious pack rats and will hoard food under their bedding. A food bowl and water bottle will need to be in place. Make sure the bowl is a sturdy chew proof bowl. Make sure the water bottle is up high enough so it doesn't leak and wet the bedding, yet low enough for the hamster to be able to comfortably reach for a drink.

Hamster will eat seeds, grains, nuts and vegetables. You can purchase a good mix formulated especially for a hamster's nutritional need. You can also offer fresh fruits and vegetables such as broccoli, apples, grapes, carrots, spinach and very small amounts of lettuce. Fruit should be kept to a minimum.

Hamsters need no help in grooming because they clean and groom themselves. Some breeders suggest a dish with regular clean sand in it for the hamster to roll in because it helps keep their fur cleaner by removing the excess oil from their coats. Bathing a hamster is not necessary, and it isn't recommended because the hamster could catch a chill. You'll always want to keep your hamster warm and dry.

The average life span of a hamster is around 2 ½ to 3 years. When a hamster reaches a year old, they may start showing signs of aging. They may sleep a bit more and tire quicker. It's always wise to keep the older hamster extra warm because they can get ill faster than when they were younger, and may not be able to effectively fight infections.

Taken from: Hamster care

MRS.S
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 02:17 PM

Keep in mind that Syrian hamsters(which are what most pet stores sell) are solitary animals, they do not need and will not accept a friend. In fact, many times they will fight to the death.

Also, if they aren't given plenty of exercise (a wheel or a ball to roam in) they will get fat which can cause a lot of health problems.

If your hamster does escape, put his/her cage on the floor with the door open, most times they will return on their own.

They are nocturnal, so be prepared for tons of commotion all hours of the night with little to no awake time during the day.

We've had hamsters, cute little animals but not my cup of tea. I prefer rabbits. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Mysterious hamster pet toy [ 2 Answers ]

I got this toy from a charity shop the other day, but I have no idea where it came from. It makes high pitched noises like it's trying to talk and likes running round my desk and will go to sleep when left alone. It seems to sing tunes sometimes as well. It says it was made by TOMY in China on...

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

View more questions Search