Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Humming from Speakers
    Guys, I need your advice: I have 10-speaker Bose sound system and Sony 5.1 "radio" that can handle every component there is. The only components connected are: Phillips DVD player, flat screen TV, and my Cable Box. The Sony "radio" is also connected to my Apple Airport. All is in one cabinet.

When I turn power ON to the "radio" - w/o playing any component - I hear very noticeable hum from my speakers. It is very annoying and bugs my wife and dog a lot. Please, HELP or I'll be forced out of my new, beautiful, house !

Many thanks !

Milo
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Apr 3, 2009, 06:30 AM

I memory serves, the humming is because you have a ground issue somewhere. Is it from all speakers?

Try unhooking all speakers, then reconnecting one at a time.

If that doesn't help, I think there are things you can hook into the wires to help (but I'm not sure what its called)

I get the hum from my SUB. But if I wiggle the wires sometimes it goes away (im just too lazy to find the real fault lol)
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 06:48 AM

Static: Hum is from active speakers. ( 2x2 speakers run with radio only, 5x2 speakers run with DVD / surround option ) It is quite loud. I will investigate when I get home tonight and let you know...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 09:22 AM

I suspect a ground loop.

Try to determine the maximum set of devices that you can connect without hum. Disconnect the cable box first.

Also, do you live close to a radio transmitter?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 10:30 AM

It could be 60 Hz hum

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speakers [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 93 grand wagoneer and the front & back drivers side speakers have no sound. We disconnected the speakers and tried them on the house stereo and they work. Question is this: there are so many wires and we are trying to figure out if the speaker wire has come loose somewhere.We have no idea...

Speakers [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I connected new but no-name speakers to my new Dell. I get only static (squealing if I turn up volume). AOL says contact Dell. Dell says speakers may not be compatible w/ windows 98. Any other advice,please?

4 6x9 speakers [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 6x9 in my car and I want another 2 more how would I go about wiring them up can I just wire them to my other 6x9 or what do I need a amp or something the 6x9 I have in car now are 240watts and ones I'm getting are 350 watts

View more questions Search