Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgrtgeneticist Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
    Regarding J-1 VISA
    Me and wife recently got separate J-1 offers from USA. We applied for VISA and gave interviews on separate dates (January 28 and 29). The passports went for administrative processings but now after 2 months, my wife received her VISA and mine is still under processings. It has been more than 7 weeks now. Can you please suggest something. Some people say that since you people have mentioned about your married status in your applicatios, the US consulate will give VISA to one only, not to the other, but we have individual offers and individual applications.
    Burd Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Apr 17, 2009, 11:30 AM

No they should give it to both of ye, you just need to clarify ot woth the us consulate. Did you attend the interview with them?

Apr 18, 2009, 04:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burd View Post
    no they should give it to both of ye, you just need to clarify ot woth the us consulate. did you attend the interview with them?
    Thank you for your response. We attended the interview on two separate dates, my wife on 28 and me on 19 of Jan 2009. But in our respective VISA applications, the names of Husband/Wife were mentioned. Some people say that we should have attended the interview together as a single case, but others do not recommend since US people seldom give VISA to both the husband and wife. Thus we applied separately because we had individual offers. I have not yet got the VISA and am hoping for the best.

Apr 18, 2009, 05:21 AM

I would contact the consulate directly, and ask for what the delay is, if you have purchased your ticket already, with a return ticket on a certain sate then you should be OK, but you have to address the situation directly, you may need proof of flights with you, and proof of separation, a church priest or something like that.

Apr 18, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Sate=date

Apr 18, 2009, 05:23 AM
    Best of luck with it man... sounds like an awful lot of bother, but keep at it, you should be grand.

Apr 18, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Is your wife a student, or are you a student, and the j1 is for college graduates and college students.

If your not in college you won't get it.

Apr 18, 2009, 11:53 AM
    We both have completed our phd. Both have got a separate postdoc positions, but in the same lab in usa,

Is that a problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed. [ 1 Answers ]

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed

Cancellation of family visa to stamp work visa for KSA for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ALL, I want to know the procedure to cancel my wife's visa who is dependent on my visa in KSA. I am presently working in KSA and my wife is in India and has received a job offer from KSA. My wife has re entry visa stamped which is valid until August this year. Kindly advice. Thanks, ...

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search