Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rose37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Thumb sucking
    What should I do to stop my daughter from sucking her finger...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2006, 03:12 PM
    How old is your daughter? This is a relaxation for some children and a matter of security for others. If she is going through some changes it may be best to wait a while.

My daughter was 5 and all I did was tell her that she was a big girl now and big girls did not suck their fingers. She asked each night if she could suck her fingers but I said no. That lasted about a week and she never did it again.

My 4 1/2 year old is another matter. He is a little more stubborn, but he is in a transition period from daycare to "big boy" elementary school, so I am not being as tough as I could while he gets used to the new routine and the new people.
    Captain_Brown Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 07:17 AM
    If your daughter is very young, then I wouldn't worry about it. If she is an older child and is still sucking on her thumb by her first adult tooth, then I would put gloves on her hand to remind her not to suck her thumb.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Or try a pacifier
    hello123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Well my daughter is 13 and she still sucks her thumb due to her having her dummy taken off her at a young age
    She usually sucks her thumb when she is tierd or bored
    It has effected her front tooth quite bad
    lazurm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Do nothing. The great majority of thumb suckers don't damage their health and it's a great habit to have for relaxation, concentration, sleep, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Sink Makes Loud Sucking Noise [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my bottom level bathroom sink (three story town house). When no water is running (or even when it is running) there is a sucking sound coming out of the drain. It is loud enough that you can hear it in the hallway when walking by or near the bathroom. Can you tell...

Thumb sucking [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is addicted to keep her thumb in mouth. She often do this when she feel sleepy. I tried several times to remove, but she is not. Can anyone suggest a best practive to avoid this. Please fast. Regards, Krishna _ India

New web site - thumb images not displaying [ 1 Answers ]

I have just uploaded new web site - www.bridalsales.ie. As can be seen on the "Sale Preview" page some of the thumb images (9 out of 24) not displaying. However, all seems OK on my local copy launched from within Frontpage. I have double checked that all .JPG's have been uploaded. Looking for any...

Green Thumb Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a 8 HP Rear Tine Green Thumb Tiller. The tiller is chain driven and the tines keep locking up. I thing that something is broke and there is a piece of dabre inside the houseing. I took the tiller apart but the tine axel is keeping me form separating the housing. The...

Green Thumb Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Green Thumb Garden Tiller. I need to know where to buy a replacement part for our tiller; the cap for chain drive seal. The motor is a Briggs & Straton, the plate on it says Lawn Chief 53GT. Where I can get parts? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search