Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Me_ Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Unknown bug
    OK, quick question, my fiancée said there was a bug on her that at first she thought was just dirt, of a black fuzzie or something. When she went to pull it off, she said it cam off hard, and was like, attached to her, and she said it was like in her skin, and about half the size of an olive pit. She said it pulled off hard, and had A lot of legs. And when she threww it at the sink, it landed and then jumped. Anyone know what it might be? It did leave a bump on her like a mosquito bite would by the way...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 05:30 PM

A Tick?
    Where does she live, and where has she been?
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Apr 2, 2009, 05:51 PM

I think I know what you are talking about. Does it look like a millipede? I used t have a lot of them in my house last summer. They are super hard. They have teeth and eat caterpillars. I'm not sure what it is called but if you have a lot of caterpillars around your house you might have more of them. Don't try to kill them. They are too hard. Just toss them outside.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Sounds like your average female dog tick, except they can't jump. They can bounce pretty good. The head may still be in her skin. Hot soaks will hep it come out faster, but don't use ice. Ice will cause it to cyst up into the most horrible zit possible.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Apr 5, 2009, 03:46 PM
    ... by coming off hard, do you mean that it did not let go easily? Half the size of an olive pit is generally large for most insects that bite. There are some insects that large that bite, and hang on, but you will more often than not, know that they bit you because of the pain they cause, and they generally let go quickly, when discovered.

My wife would have screamed if she had found a tick in her. It is possible that your fiancée had a tick imbedded in her skin. They can bite without her knowing it. They imbed their head into the skin of their prey and engorge on blood to reach the size of half an olive pit. Then drop off to lay eggs. A dog tick is a good guess. They are common.

What do you mean by a LOT of legs? Adult ticks have 8 legs (4 pairs). Ticks are not insects by the way. Most adult insects have 6 legs (3 pairs).

How to identify different ticks

Millipedes don't bite, but centipedes do. Centipede bites are often very painful. The mischaracterization is probably just a misunderstanding of the difference between the two classes of arthropods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to run down a TV movie I saw many years ago. This was yet another movie about a nuclear attack. The movie had a touching scene at the end where one of the films leads was finally able to get back home, only to find his mothers' dress on their bed, covered with dust (meaning of course...

The unknown [ 19 Answers ]

Hey, just want to know your favorite unknown or generally forgotten movie.

Re:unknown med [ 2 Answers ]

Geez! I was joking about taking it folks. Sorry, did'nt mean to cause a fuss. My Mom died of CA, and I just wondered what the name of it was so I could look it up in the PDR. I'm a nurse not a nutcase! Sorry everybody!!

Unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what to do with my ex.He broke up with me. Since apparently we were to busy. But yet he stares at me all the time ,and has a different girl every week. He tells them that they are no apparently to me. What should I do?:( :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search