Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    house hunter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Who has jurisdiction ?
    A credit card co. has a judgement against me but it was not filed in the county I reside in? Do they have jurisdiction?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 02:29 PM

First, don't ask the same question about the same thing in 2 different threads. It clutters up the boards and makes it harder for you to get all your answers in one place.

Depends on the circumstances. Are they suing you as a business and filed in the county the business operates out of?

I now see by your 2nd question that a judgment has NOT been entered, but that you are in the process of being sued.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2009, 02:29 PM

If they got a judgement the court that issued it felt they had jurisdiction.
    house hunter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 02:50 PM

You see my mailing address is in one county the actual residence is in another.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 03:20 PM

The judgement is valid, unless you fight it.

1. were you served
    2. if properly served why did you not object at that time
    3. if you were not served that is another reason to file a motion to over turn the judgement.

If not in the county where you lived, was in in the county where you used to live or where they have their offices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jurisdiction change [ 8 Answers ]

I just stumbled across this site. I am in desperate need of legal advice. My daughter was born in CA and I lived there with her and my ex till she was 2 1/2. We divorced and he agreed that I could move back home to NJ with her. We have legal paperwork and already went to court once in CA for...

Change jurisdiction from CO to FL [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to Florida with my daughter in 2001. The original child support order is in CO where my daughter was born. How do I go about changing the jurisdiction to the Florida courts?

Change of Jurisdiction [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to find out how to change jurisdiction for upcoming court cases. My ex takes me back to court every 2 years to increase my child support payments. I recently moved to FL from GA. The divorce and child support modifications have all been done in GA. Now I want to modify the child...

Jurisdiction change [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I have custody of my son and we have been living in Alabama for 8 years. My divorce decree occurred in TN. I need to change jurisdiction because my husband has broken our agreement regarding his visitation with my son. I do not have a lawyer in AL but I do know I need to get...

Law and Jurisdiction [ 5 Answers ]

I have a discussion due on the importance of Law and Jurisdiction. This is what I have so far on law : I am having troube with the Jurisdiction part. I have read in my text about the different courts, and understand them, but I am stuck on the importance of Jurisdiction. Any help would...

View more questions Search