Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Remodel options needed: Replace bath with shower
    I am looking at removing a standard fiberglass bathtub/shower enclosure and installing a tiled shower. What are my options for the base of the shower? I've seen one or two products online that are cultured marble bases with tile inserts that fit right into the old bathtub rough opening. They were pretty pricey though! I know I could form a base out of concrete and tile over that but I've never done that before and I'm not thrilled with the idea of working with concrete where any leaks could cause serious water damage (the bathroom is on the second floor). Are there other options out there?

Thanks for any input and advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2006, 12:15 PM
    "I know I could form a base out of concrete and tile over that but I've never done that before and I'm not thrilled with the idea of working with concrete where any leaks could cause serious water damage (the bathroom is on the second floor). Are there other options out there?"

On a second floor shower you deck over the tub dap out hole and frame your shower out of 2 X 4's. You extend the trap raiser up over the floor line and install the bottom half of a flange type shower drain,(see image).
    You then pan out the shower with Blue Compaseal Plastic and bolt down the top half of the shower drain. From there the tile man takes over.
    If you don't have the skills and tools to do this perhaps a manufactured shower base that's designed to fit over a tub hole would be the best way to go. Regards, tom
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Ok, just so I'm clear on this: subfloor remains, then 2x4 lumber is used to create a "basin", then the compaseal plastic is laid and formed, then a mortar bed on top of the plastic, then finally the tile. Is that correct? It sounds pretty straight-forward when I put it like that! I'm pretty competent with this sort of thing but having never done it, I just want to be certain that it's something I can do right the first time.

What should I expect to pay for materials if I construct this myself? As for the manufactured bases, it looks like list price on those I could find online were upwards of $1000. That seems ridiculously expensive.

Thanks again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
    You're going to love this Augy,

Let me give you detailed instructions on how to build a custom tile shower floor and drain.
    Clck on: http://johnbridge.com/mortar_bed_shower_floor.htm To check it out I have no idea about the expense or cost of materials. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice needed on framing - replace metal studs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for some advice regarding a "Yoga RopeWall" I am helping to construct for a friend's Yoga studio. A rope wall is basically a wall of 3/4" plywood with ropes hanging from it that are used for various Yoga poses. Originally, the wall was covered in mirror. When we took that down, we...

After a remodel shower drain is leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I remodelled my bathroom and now it appears that the shower drain is leaking. I remodelled the shower with a product called syn-mar. A base with shower walls and used a Danze faucet and drain. My first question is I didn't use plumbers putty, instead I used Sicone when installing the drain, Could...

Trying to replace a shower with a tub [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me how to replace my shower with a tub? My father said that it would be difficult, but a plumber that was out unclogging our pipes said that if the drains did not match up we could run extension pipes. My father says only if we build up the floor first. I need to know the...

Shower remodel [ 4 Answers ]

I'm updating a 50 year old bathroom. I intend to put in a 36x36 Florestone shower pan, with the walls done in Corian. A shower was formerly in place built from scratch by a tilesetter on a slab foundation. I've removed all tile, vertical mortar, and the mortar bed, leaving a drain connection...

View more questions Search