Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madam Goodwrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
    How to conceal electric wiring to dining fixture on concrete ceiling
    Would like direction on covering up the feeder wire to long cord plug in pendant dining room fixture - concrete ceiling. We can bore a lge hole at one end of wall (plaster) into adjacent closet for outlet and even control juice at outlet with wall switch....but what to do about cord from center of room to hole and replicate it on the other side?

Have checked at Lowe's - can an MDF 12'x 3/4"x 51/4" be made to look like a beam with 1 1/2" sides & then attached to the ceiling...?????

Will be very appreciative of any and all tips...

Madam Goodwrench
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 12:14 PM

How about Wiremold?Here's their site:
    http://www.wiremold.com/publigen/perimeter/?cid=1
    Click on 2009 Product Guide, then check page 3(500 and 700 series Raceways)
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 13, 2009, 12:39 AM

By cord, I assume you mean lampcord? If so, covering it and fishing it through the wall is a code violation.

The MDF beam idea sounds good, but you will have to install permanent wiring. Perhaps you could install a couple beams so it looks better aesthetically.

Wiremold is also a good alternative. Again, I'd install a couple pieces in parallel (with no wires inside the others) to make a nicer installation.

You will need some way to attach stuff to the ceiling. A small hammer drill would make a nice addition to your tool kit.

Apr 13, 2009, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    How about Wiremold?Heres their site:
    http://www.wiremold.com/publigen/perimeter/?cid=1
    Click on 2009 Product Guide, then check page 3(500 and 700 series Raceways)
    To Stratmando... thanks so much for the wire mold site... looks like they have products more suitable for a dining room than the hardware look of a HD product... Madam Goodwrench
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 07:13 AM

What is directly above the location?

Apr 13, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohb0b View Post
    By cord, I assume you mean lampcord? If so, covering it and fishing it through the wall is a code violation.

The MDF beam idea sounds good, but you will have to install permanent wiring. Perhaps you could install a couple beams so it looks better aesthetically.

Wiremold is also a good alternative. Again, I'd install a couple pieces in parallel (with no wires inside the others) to make a nicer installation.

You will need some way to attach stuff to the ceiling. A small hammer drill would make a nice addition to your tool kit.
    To ohb0b... yes... a lampcord and thanks for the detailed technical response and insight on making things look beautiful as well... suspected my simple solution would not meet code... but hard wiring the pendant is not a problem... being creative in camouflaging it will be a challenge... will report back... Madam Goodwrench

PS Now to purchase the hammer drill!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 02:00 PM

Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's etc also sell Wiremold.

It's what I would recommend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches [ 7 Answers ]

I searched but couldn't find this exact question... I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location...

Wiring ceiling fixture [ 9 Answers ]

Hi... I have replaced ceiling light fixtures before, and always observed which wires were connected to which. My problem is, my son moved out and took his bedroom ceiling fixture with him, so now I don't know how the wires should connect to the new fixture. My house was built around 1950-1955. ...

Ceiling fixture wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone -- I'm changing out a ceiling fixture and discovered 7 wires coming into the junction box. 3 are white and wire-nutted together. 2 are black and wire-nutted together. 1 is red. 1 is black. (I stupidly did not note how the original fixture was wired.)

How to run new electric for fixture in concrete ceiling. [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Electric Experts, After reading responses from Rick, ScotGem and especially TKRussell, am not optimistic about alternatives... would like to install a chandelier in pre-WWII bldg... they will not allow digging into the concrete... only 6" between ceiling and floor above... Am aware of...

Ceiling Fan 4 light fixture wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a 4 light fixture I need to know how to wire the light switch. I have one white wire, one black wire, and one green wire available. The green wire is labeled lights. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search