Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iplay1515 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Optimum Point for Strip Heat vs. Heat Pump
    My heat pump has electric heat strips for emergency and auxiliary heat. My thermostat is designed to call for strip heat if there is more than a 2 degree difference between the set point and the ambient temperature in the room.

It's clear that the efficiency of a heat pump decreases as the outside air temperature decreases, and at some point, it's more efficient to operate the strip heat than the heat pump. It's also clear that the strip heat must be used when the heat demand is greater than the heat pump can supply.

My question is how do I determine the optimum point to switch from heat pump to strip heat in some scientific manner.

1kwh of strip resistance heat will produce x btus of heat. 1 kwh will also produce x btus of heat from the heat pump. As the outside temperature drops, the heat pump produces less and less buts of heat for the same 1kwh of power consumed, so there is a point when the strip heat is more cost effective.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Apr 2, 2009, 01:27 PM

What you are referring to is the coefficient of performance (COP). Electric resistive heat has a COP of 1. So it is economically advantageous to run your HP when the COP is greater than 1.

Contact the manufacturer to get this data, as it is used to calculate EER, SEER and HSPF. I think you will be surprised as to how low a temp you can run your HP at and still have a COP > 1.

When your COP = 1 that is your economical balance point, but not your comfort balance point. Some folks don't like their HP blowing luke-warm air so their comfort balance point is much higher than their economic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

Setting low-temperature cut-out and balance point on Coleman Heat Pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Coleman HC3B heat pump. The local service technician showed me the jumpers for the low-temperature cut-out (LTCO) and balance point (BP). It appears to be a set of pins with labels decreasing in value by 5 (45, 40, 35, etc.) which I assume are the temperature. I would like to...

Heat pump heat strip replacement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Heil heat pump package system in N. FL. Last winter it developed a condition called 'dirty sock' syndrome. We had a professional clean the unit and coat the coil with a white teflon-type paint made for this condition. The remainder of the year the unit did not smell and all summer it was...

Heat pump balance point [ 4 Answers ]

I bought my heat pump from my oil provider (they are a full-service energy company). They told me that the balance point at which the heat pump should be set is 45 degrees, meaning when the outside temp is 45 degrees or less, my oil furnace will come on and the heat pump will remain off until...

View more questions Search