Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Early IRA distribution - requirements for hardship waiver of 10% penalty
    Where can I find the specific requirements and procedure for obtaining a hardship waiver of the 10% penalty for early distribution from a traditional IRA?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 09:45 AM

Here are the exceptions for having to pay the 10% earlywithdrawal penalty from an IRA:

• You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    • The distributions are not more than the cost of your medical insurance.
    • You are disabled.
    • You are the beneficiary of a deceased IRA owner.
    • You are receiving distributions in the form of an annuity.
    • The distributions are not more than your qualified higher education expenses.
    • You use the distributions to buy, build, or rebuild a first home.
    • The distribution is due to an IRS levy of the qualified plan.
    • The distribution is a qualified reservist distribution.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Here are the exceptions for having to pay the 10% earlywithdrawal penalty from an IRA:

• You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    • The distributions are not more than the cost of your medical insurance.
    • You are disabled.
    • You are the beneficiary of a deceased IRA owner.
    • You are receiving distributions in the form of an annuity.
    • The distributions are not more than your qualified higher education expenses.
    • You use the distributions to buy, build, or rebuild a first home.
    • The distribution is due to an IRS levy of the qualified plan.
    • The distribution is a qualified reservist distribution.
    Thank you. I'm familiar with these exceptions. I was wondering if there were any other ways to get a hardship waiver.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 10:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Thank you. I'm familiar with these exceptions. I was wondering if there were any other ways to get a hardship waiver.
    The list I gave is it - there is no such thing as a "hardship waiver."
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Based on what was said in this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...ra-336569.html I was hoping there was a waiver I didn't already know about. Oh well. Thanks anyway.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 11:24 AM

There's nothing in that thread that contradicts what I said. People sometimes use the term "hardship withdrawal" when talking about IRAs, even though the term applies to 401(k)'s. But even with 401(k)'s, hardship withdrawals are fully taxable and usually carry a 10% early withdrawal penalty.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
    I wasn't trying to suggest that the thread contradicted what you said. I was just hoping there was something more. As I said, thanks anyway.
    chewingcud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Hey ebaines, why don't you change your handle from Ultra Member to "Ultra ".
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 03:30 PM
    Because ebaines has no control on his ranking; site admin does that!
    sesmerelli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Can we have the 10% eliminated for that portion of the early withdrawal that went to medical expenses.
    Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sesmerelli View Post
    Can we have the 10% eliminated for that portion of the early withdrawal that went to medical expenses.
    Yes, to the extent that your medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Consider this example: suppose your AGI is $50K - 7.5% of that is $3,750. If you withdraw $10K from your IRA before reaching age 59-1/2, and use it for medical expenses, you would owe the 10% penalty on the first $3,750 of the withdrawal, but no penalty on the remaining $6.250. You will have to submit form 5329 with your tax return to claim the exemption from the penalty. Of course, you also owe regular income tax on the portion of the withdrawal which is attributable to pre-tax contributions and earnings in the account (unless it's a Roth IRA that is at least 5 years old).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Early distribution 10% penalty [ 3 Answers ]

From October 2006 through third week in December 2006 I was out of work with umbilical hernia on disability. My job was in an office sitting at a desk. I was cleared and returned to work for the final week in December 2006. Starting in January 2007 I began delivering heavy boxes of food for a...

Early distribution IRS penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I have an annuity under my 401K plan that I want to cash in. I know I'll have to pay taxes on the distribution. I'm wondering what the penalty will be to the IRS? I am 49 1/2 years old. Thank you

401k Early withdraw hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take 17k for a hardship withdraw on my 401k. Will I have to pay federal taxes on this?

401K Distribution penalty [ 3 Answers ]

I had no choice but to take a hardship withdrawal from my 401K after being let go by my employer. It was a difficult time also having been displaced by a house fire and having to rebuild our home and pay for a portion of our alternate living expenses not covered by the insurance company. Being a...

View more questions Search