Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Sep 8, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Making a sturdy bookcase
    Hey guys, I have question you may or may not be able to guide me on. I was trying to install a gate at the top of the stairs for my kids but there is no wall to attach it to on one side. What someone suggested me do is to build a sturdy bookcase there (we already have a store bought one there now ) so it will be sturdy but doesn't look like a wall. Trouble is I need it to be 16" deep. I was trying to look at the Home Depot but couldn't figure out what woiod would be sturdy enough. My ceiling is 8 feet high but only wanted to make the bookcase about 6 feet high. If I had to make a full height I will. The other thing is is price. I didn't want this to be a lot of money. Hopefully under $100. I like lighter wood also. If anyone has any ideas they can shoot out I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2006, 11:12 AM
    I'm a bit confused by this stair. Isn't there a banister running up the stair. Isn't there a post at the top to support the banister? Why can't you attach the gate to that?

Maybe you can attach or insert a picture of the top of the stair.

Sep 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Actually, there isn't a banister right now. If I get a chance I will get a picture but it might be awhile. As you go down the stairs there is a wall that only goes down half way leaving the stairs open. When we bought the house last year it didn't have a banister and I haven't had time to put it up. The kids use the wall as a railing on the other side.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2006, 05:43 PM
    You need to put up a banister.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 13, 2006, 08:17 PM
    You can use A/C 3/4" pine plywood which is cabinet grade. Or you can use Birch or Oak 3/4" plywood. They all can be stained or painted. If your painting it, use the A/C pine plwywood. For a face frame you can buy 1x2, 3/4" pine if your painting, or the same in Oak or Birch.

This all would be for around a 100 dollars.

Oh, and like Scott said, install that banister darnit.

Sep 18, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Thanks for your help guys. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making Out [ 19 Answers ]

Im 13, and Im probably the only one in here over the age of 12 that hasnt made out with anyone. My boyfriend is 15, so hes been thru that, so he wants to make out with me, but everytime he tries, I back away, because I dont know what to do! Can anyone help me here? :confused:

Ex girlfriend making me want to end it all [ 24 Answers ]

I've never done something like this - post on an internet message board, but I need help. I'm more depressed then anything and I just don't want to bother with life anymore. I know its my ex causing it but I just can't see past that. She is killing me. I was with her for almost 2 years. Its been...

Making vcd [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got some movies in my hard disk but I want to watch them on my t.v wth my family Is there is any software by which I can burn the movie on the cd-rom and watch it on my vcd/dvd player Please help

Making A Dvd [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have two hours of digital videotape on 8 mm Hi8 tape that I want to put on a DVD along with some still photos and music. I know there is software to help do this, but I don't know how to get from videotape to DVD. I don't know what hardware is needed, nor do I know which software is best. ...

View more questions Search